VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

We've switched our very old dog from homeopathic thyroid to

Customer Question

We've switched our very old dog from homeopathic thyroid to pharmaceutical. 2 mg. Now he is panting non stop and barging around the house. Has he gotten too much or too little thyroid?
Thank you!
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 2 years ago.
Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to help you with your question. Would you mind looking at the bottle of medication for me and verifying the dose? Is it 2 mgs or 0.2 mgs? How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Answer with the newly requested info I have provided please.
Are you able to see my questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

s. I though I filled it in but my response disappeared. Here:

you are right. My dog is actually taking a dose of 0.2milligrams. His body weight is 45 pounds.

There you are, thank you! So the dose that he got was 0.2 mgs per 45 pounds (20.45 kgs). This is about 0.01 mg/kg. This is even below a normal therapeutic dose for a dog. Dogs are not as sensitive to thyroid medication as we are, and they tend to tolerate it with very little effect, even with an overdose. It is unlikely that we would see any adverse effects from this dose, so we wouldn't be expecting to see heavy breathing or hyperactivity. He may just be overexcited, but just to be on the safe side, check around the house to make sure he didn't get in to anything. Chocolate, nicotine, caffeine, any other types of stimulants that may be commonly found in the house can cause them to become hyperactive.