Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog just started having intermittent coughing followed by

Customer Question

My dog just started having intermittent coughing followed by a vomit/gagging sound, yet nothing comes up. This has been going on for 36 hours & is unusual. He has not been in a kennel/boarding facility or around many dogs in the last month. He is otherwise eating, drinking, running, playing & going to the bathroom like his normal self. I was out of town for 3 weeks and my family stated he seemed a bit depressed and missed me but nothing out of ordinary happened. Could this be Kennel Cough? If so, should I take him to the Vet or wait a few more days to see if he gets better now that I'm home (less stress)? Is there home remedy/over the counter I should try?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello. thanks for the question.It does sound like this may be kennel cough. This is an infectious disease of the trachea of dogs. They don't have to be boarded at a kennel to get it. It's more common in kennel situations, but it's not required. The treatment for kennel cough is antibiotics (Doxycycline) + anti-cough meds. If you want to try a cough medication at home, you can use Robitussin DM. You can give him 1 teaspoon every 8-12 hours, as needed. If the coughing doesn't start to resolve over the next 24 hours, then I would get him seen and started on some antibiotics and a more potent anti-tussive like Hycodan or Codeine. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.