Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dogs poo over the last 2 days has turned very dark and

Customer Question

Hi my dogs poo over the last 2 days has turned very dark and sticky (more green than black) and his appetite has changed. He's not eating as much as usual, but is still in fine form.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Is there any black at all?If its green, has he had any access to toxins?Has he been drinking more or less then usual?Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, there is no black at all, and no access to toxins. His drinking is normal,his gums r paler than usual. No tenderness and he hasn't eaten anything he shouldn't have that I have seen. His dry food was changed around a fortnight ago tho.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** am glad to see that he has had no access to anything toxic and that you are seeing no black (a sign of GI bleeding) in his stool. Based on your history and his signs, we would be most suspicious that these changes to fecal color and consistency is related to his ability to digest the new diet. We can see this delayed if the diet is affecting the GI bacterial microflora (as opposed to a dietary intolerance). Other potential causes that could induce these signs include worms, protozoa, liver issues (less likely at his age), and brewing bacterial gastroenteritis. With this all in mind, I would advise swapping back to his old diet or offering a light diet option (ie rice with boiled chicken or white fish). If he settles, then the diet would be our culprit. If he doesn't then it was likely a red herring and we have to consider those other issues. If that happens, then we'd want to make sure he is up to date for worming and consider submitting a fecal sample to his vet at that stage. That will pinpoint what is present and tell you whether he needs any treatment. Overall, based on his signs and history, the diet is our top suspect. Therefore, it would be ideal to change back or offer a light diet to see if his signs settle. If they do not do so, then those other concerns would need to be considered for Odin. And in that case, we'd want to consider a fecal sample to diagnose what is present so that we can clear it for him. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )