Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My dog threw up 4 or 5 times today, it was mucusy and included

Customer Question

my dog threw up 4 or 5 times today, it was mucusy and included partial last night dinner. gave him some food today and threw up. just watched him poop and it was loose and had a bit of blood. He does get out into my back woods alot and could have eaten something. Hes aprox 10 years old
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Diarrhea can be caused by many different things but one of those is a change in diet. If the diet was not switched from old to new over a gradual time period, it can cause the stomach and intestines to be inflamed. This inflammation can cause diarrhea as well as blood in the diarrhea. The same type of bloody diarrhea can occur from stress. We call this stress colitis. This condition is managed with bland diet and medication. The bland diet can be cooked at home with bland, white chicken breast with NO SEASONING or lean cooked ground beef NO SEASONING and plain white rice. You can also use a prescription bland diet such and I/D, W/D or Royal canin gastrointestinal formula. I recommend small, frequent meals, to get the GI tract back on track. Do not continue to feed more food too quickly as this can cause a setback. Once the diarrhea is resolved, you can slowly mix in more of the dog food and mix out some of the rice mixture. This transition needs to be over a few days so we can watch for diarrhea to return.Sometimes diet is enough to help but other times pets need a medication called metronidazole or metronidazole and amoxicillin to stop the bloody diarrhea. This needs to be prescribe from a veterinarian.If further signs develop such as vomiting, decreased energy level or no appetite, further tests need to be completed to be sure something more severe is not going on, such as pancreatitis, something foreign stuck in the GI tract, etc. With the vomiting today, pancreatitis is a possibility.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
The pancreas is part of the endocrine and digestive system, which is integral for the digestion of foods, producing the enzymes that digest food, and producing insulin. When the pancreas becomes inflamed, the flow of enzymes into the digestive tract can become disrupted, forcing the enzymes out of the pancreas and into the abdominal area. Many dogs start with not eating, lethargy, increased respiratory rate and vomiting or diarrhea. With pancreatitis, the digestive enzymes will begin to break down fat and proteins in the other organs, as well as in the pancreas. In effect, the body begins to digest itself. Because of their proximity to the pancreas, the kidney and liver can also be affected when this progression takes place, and the abdomen will become inflamed, and possibly infected as well. Diagnosing pancreatitis can be quickly with a rapid SNAP test called a cPL. Treatment involves fluid therapy and careful monitoring of their electrolytes. If your dog is vomiting, food may need to be withheld, but ideally not for more than 48 hours or hepatic lipidosis can occur. If vomiting is persistent, drugs will be prescribed to help control it, and if your pet is experiencing severe pain, pain relievers can be given. (Pain medication should only be given with supervision from your veterinarian.) It may also be necessary to give your pet antibiotics as a preventive against infection.Because there is a potential for pancreatitis, my best recommendation is to have the cPL test completed. If negative, then the vet can prescribe medication for the diarrhea and give an anti-nausea medication called Cerenia for the vomiting. If positive, the vet can start fluids at that time.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
I haven't heard back from you and wanted to check in. What further questions can I answer for you?
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily