How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 3028
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 40 lb dog has new onset tonic clonic seizure activity. He

Customer Question

My 40 lb dog has new onset tonic clonic seizure activity. He is 3 years old and has had 4 in the past three days. The vet cannot see him until Monday. Can I give him Ativan until he is seen?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...Is he on any other medications?How long are these seizures lasting?Are they full blown grand mal seizures?What is your zip code?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. He is not on any other medication. The seizure activity is lasting approximately 1-2 minutes. The seizure activity is textbook. He let's out a scream and falls to his side, quite stiff and convulsing with thick froth coming from the mouth. My zip code is 28349

Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.When it comes to seizures, we worry most about new onset seizures or seizures that are increasing in frequently or length. Since your dog is 3, we absolutely have to be concerned that this could be something like epilepsy (this is the exact time it shows up in dogs).Unfortunately, since his seizures seem to be increasing in frequency, I would absolutely, postively have him seen by an emergency vet today.If you're not sure where the one nearest you is, you can go to: ***** ***** plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the right direction of the one nearest you.I would not wait until his scheduled appointment on Monday. Having him seen sooner, rather than later, is going to give you the best outcome for him.