Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I think my dog may have digested some Vigaro All Purpose

Customer Question
Hi I think my dog may...
Hi
I think my dog may have digested some Vigaro All Purpose Plant food. She has been experiencing diarrhea, would not eat anything until I gave her rice with pumpkin but has been fairly active all day up until now. But she may just be exhausted from loads of exercise! I noticed in the back yard that there was diarrhea with a red tinge that smelt very irony. Is somthing very wrong?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
5/2/2015
Dog Specialist: VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech replied 2 years ago
VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'd be glad to help you with your question. When did Tilly get into the plant food, and how much of it would you say she ingested?
Hi
It was yesterday evening and I had sprinkled it in plants so it was pretty much dispersed but she dug up an area!
The package formula that I'm finding online doesn't contain iron. Would you mind taking a look at the package and just verifying for me that this doesn't have any iron in it?
It says iron total 0.30%
Thank you for verifying that! That is a very low concentration of iron. If Tilly managed to graze up a small amount of fertilizer off the ground, it is not likely that we would expect to see iron toxicity at that amount. She would have had to ingested a larger amount out of the bag before we would start to worry about how much iron she got leading to things like ulceration.Fertilizers can definitely cause GI upset like vomiting and diarrhea. Due to the nutrients in it, we can also see them have stiff and sore muscles for 24-48 hours after ingestion. All of this is usually mild and unless she seems like she is in a lot of pain or the vomiting/diarrhea becomes persistent, it usually doesn't require vet care. You can try switching her to a bland diet of plain white rice and boiled white chicken breast (you can keep adding the pumpkin to that if you'd like), and that will help to ease the diarrhea. Give her about 24 hours for her stools to solidify. If she continues to have diarrhea, if it becomes really liquidy, or you start seeing bright red blood/dark tarry blood in the stools, then you will want to get her into the vet clinic to be evaluated. You will also want to get her in if she seems like she gets SO stiff and sore that she's not able to stand, or is too weak to hold her weight on her back legs. This is not very common, but if it happens, it'll be good to have her on a pain medication. But in most cases, these resolve really well on their own at home.
Ok. Thank you very much!
You are very welcome! Good luck, and let me know if you need anything else!
VetTechErin
VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech