Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My Shih tzu has been diagnosed with spindle cell proliferation

Customer Question

My Shih tzu has been diagnosed with spindle cell proliferation left rear
Paw on the side,not much tissue to work?J
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Spooky. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. What is being recommended by the doctor that took this biopsy? Can surgery be done to remove the growth/ proliferation? If it can't be removed I would look into working with an oncologist who might be able to do "intralesional chemotherapy", injections to shrink the proliferation and try to make it small enough to remove. If that can't be done, and this if worrisome that it might be cancer ("spindle cell" sounds like a tumor or cancer) then I would actually consider removing a toe if necessary to get it fully removed, if he were my own dog and if that is possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What are our options in view of the fact that the tumor is located on a portion of his foot with almost no skin to work with? Is seed implant radiation something we should consider?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
If this were my own dog, I would probably consult with my local veterinary oncologist to get her opinion. Intralesional chemo, seed implants, and a toe removal might all be options.