Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I am carlos my dog is bichon malte (11 years old female) we did her a surgery 2 ye

Customer Question
Hello I am carlos my dog...
Hello I am carlos
my dog is bichon malte (11 years old female)
we did her a surgery 2 years ago and we took out her vagina
now she is not eating, we did her blood test and it shows high level in creatinie (11.6) and uree (854). after 2 days of serum bag they low down to 7 in creatinine and 125 in uree
she is not eating at all, but she drinks a lot and vomit them.
whats the cure? any hope?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
4/30/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello Carlos. I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Based on Bella's blood tests, this suggests that she has kidney disease. While the values on her a second blood test have improved with fluids; they are still too high. This suggests that her kidney disease is quite severe. And in that case, her prognosis is guarded.
In regards ***** ***** appetite loss and vomiting; these are side effects of those kidney toxins being too high in her blood. So, she would need to keep being treated IV fluids to keep flushing out these toxins. As well, you can have her vet start her on injectable anti-vomiting medication (ie Metoclopramide, Maropitant, Ondansetron, etc) and/or antacids (ie Ranitidine, Famotidine, Omeprazole, etc). They may need to also give appetite stimulating medication (ie Mertazipine) and start syringe feeding her food to get her to eat.
Overall, if Bella has kidney disease there is no cure. All we can do is flush out the toxins with IV fluids and settle her stomach to get her eating. If you try the above but she does not improve and start to feel better; then we would have to consider putting her to sleep as kidney failure is not curable.
Please take care & please click "reply" and let me know if you need anything explained further.
Dr. B.
Thank you
She is staying at the vet now. Could those high levels of creatinine and uree get lower? And how?
You are very welcome,
They could get lower but that would require more IV fluids at the vets. So, we would want them to keep treating as they are.
If she responds to treatment, they can get her kidney levels lower and she starts to feel better; then her vet could start her on kidney supportive treatments (ie ACE inhibitors, low protein/salt/phosphorus diets, etc) for you to give at home. So, it is possible to get the levels lower with fluids and get them feeling better but we would need to keep treating as you are and offer those treatments to settle her stomach that I mentioned above.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Thanks Dr.
We did her another test today and it shows that creatinine is 5.5 and uree is 73
So they are getting lower (slowly)
She looks very good and she gets active whenever she sees us
Now the questions is that those levels are getting lower only by the serum bag which has been using it since monday, any side effects for the serum on the blood for those long days? What happens when we'll take off the serum? Will creatinine and uree levels get high again?
Hi again,I am glad to see her kidney values are continuing to drop towards normal. Now IV fluids would not have any long term harm for her. The only concern is that once it has been stopped, her kidney toxins may start to slowly raise again. But that is why her vet will need to send her home with special treatment (ie special food, medication, or fluids to give at home) to keep the kidneys function as best they can and slow the progress with the disease for as long as possible. All the best,Dr. B.
She has no apetite at all
And she is still vomiting
How can we deal with this?
Hi again, What medications are they using for her vomiting?Any that I mentioned the other day?
He told me he is inserting primperan in the IV fluid
Now in 30 mins she vomited 4 - 5 times
They just gave it?
If that is the case, it does need time to work. Therefore, you need to give it a few hours to settle her stomach. Dr. B.
He said he gave her yesterday night and today morning
The IV fluids is dropping so fast (is it ok?) in 1.5 hour 3/4 finished
The rate of fluids given is weight , daily requirement, and condition dependant. Generally speaking, maintenance rates are 2 millilitres per kilogram of her body weight per hour. Since she needs flushing out because of kidneys, they may be giving double this. This would translate to her getting 20ml/hour if she was 5 kilograms in weight. So, I wouldn't be surprised if she is going through a lot of fluids.Otherwise, they will need to keep treating that nausea to see if it starts to settle or potentially also treat with one of the antacids we discussed before. Take care,Dr. B.
Thank you
You are very welcome, All the best for your wee gal,Dr. B.
She is still vomiting
Now we are waiting the blood test
Good morning, That is a shame that she is still vomiting and a real worry for her long term prognosis. Do let me know how her blood work comes out.Dr. B.
In few mins
Thanks
You are welcome
Creatinine is 5.1
That is better, so we need to keep up the good work. Still if she is vomiting despite that anti-vomiting treatment, you may need to discuss trying an alternative anti-sickness medication to see if it works better for her.Take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
We took her home, the dr said there is no hope,
How can we treat her at home? Any special types of medications??
Hi again, You will need to speak to her vet. We can sometimes use oral anti-nausea medications, ACE inhibitors to help support the kidneys, and give fluids under the skin (which your vet can teach you). But if she isn't going to settle with this nausea, then her prognosis is poor despite her improved blood values and you may have to unfortunately consider putting her to sleep. Please take care,Dr .B.
Oral anti nausea as what? Can u specify names?
My family didn't accept to sleep her, that's why we brought her home
So am checking if we can treat her in her last few days
Actually, I mentioned these to you before. There are oral versions of all the anti-vomiting medication (ie Metoclopramide, Maropitant, Ondansetron, etc) and antacids (ie Ranitidine, Famotidine, Omeprazole, etc) I posted above. So, you can consider those to try and help her. Dr. B.
Thank you
You are welcome,Please do take care,Dr. B.
Hi Carlos,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
Customer
Hi Dr
I read your message in the morning and was going to tell you that she is still sick
Then my mom called me and told me the sad news :( she diedWanna thank you a lot for everything, hope I didn't bother you
Dear *****os, You were no bother at all and I am so sorry to hear that poor Bella has passed. Please know that you really did all you could for her and please take comfort in all the good memories you have shared with her over the years. Please take care,Dr. B.
Check the attached pic above :) big thanks
Awwh, such a sweet wee gal.Please take care,Dr. B.
:)
Have a peaceful day,Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian