Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

Almost eight year old female Scottie Dog, had blood from vulva

Customer Question

Almost eight year old female Scottie Dog, had blood from vulva about a month ago over weekend, took her in on Monday, with swollen groin on right side. Vet said she had very full gland which he expressed. Lump is still there. Today she had mucous from her vulva after peeing. She acts normal, doesn't seem to be in pain. Normal bowels and appetite.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is***** I am here to answer your questions today to the best of my ability. The individual this was originally for is not currently available.
I first want to verify, is your Scottie spayed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, she is
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you for that information. Wanted to confirm that we could exclude a pyometra as an underlying cause as this is a very serious condition. If she has not yet had her urine assessed for signs of infection, that is the first place to start. Sometimes we may see blood in the urine with a urinary tract infection as well as frequent urination, unable to hold urine, increased drinking but not always. Some UTIs are "silent," meaning we do not detect they are there until the urine is tested. The way to detect a bladder infection is to retrieve a urine sample and have it examined under a microscope for signs of infection (bacteria, white cells that fight infection) or have it cultured (put on a plate to grow bacteria if any are present). A bladder infection can occur at any time, but some dogs are predisposed to having UTIs. If there is excessive skin or hair in the vulva area, if there is a history of diarrhea or if the dog has an underlying condition such as diabetes, then UTIs are more common. Diarrhea can create more of a mess on a pet's rear end. This can cause bacteria translocation from the anal area, hair, tail up the urethra into the bladder. The bacteria can also be moved from the fecal area to the urethral from the pet licking. Urinary tract infections are treated with antibiotics. Bladder infections can be categorized into complicated and uncomplicated UTIs. They can also be classified into recurrent or persistent. Persistent is the case where the infection continues despite antibiotic treatment. This would be the case if the previous infection was not completed resolved and then returned. Recurrent is when cats or dogs get repeated UTIs with the same or different bacteria. An uncomplicated UTI is a first time infection, when there are no structural or functional abnormalities contributing to why a pet gets a UTI -- such as with extra folded skin in the vulva area, dilute urine such as with diabetes, or if the pet is on steroids. The reason this matters is because it changes the way we treat the UTI. First, a urine culture and sensitivity test is recommended for all complicated UTI cases. This allows us to pick an antibiotic that is going to be appropriate for the bacteria present. The samples should be collected via a clean catheterization or via cystocentesis. Another step is that important with complicated UTIs, or in this case where the infection appears to be improving for a few days then there is a setback -- is to look for what else could be going on that is causing the condition to worsen. Another possibility for this problem is if a bladder stone is present. Bladder stones hold infection in and can continue to leak bacteria out into the bladder or the bladder wall. The stone is also irritating and can cause blood to be expressed externally. The antibiotics cannot keep up with this process. If the stone remains and is infected, then the urine will continue to be infected as well. Sometimes more quickly than others. The way a stone is diagnosed is with an xray. Complicated UTIs should be treated for 4 weeks minimum. Even though the treatment course is longer, we still typically see improvement on a daily or weekly basis during this time. As far as the bulge still being present, it would be best to have the anal glands rechecked. It is impossible the area is still locally inflammed and the swelling will still go down, but we want to be sure the gland is not impacted. If an impaction occurs, the material will eventually rupture to the outside. Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications are needed to treat this condition. Please review the above information and let me know what further questions I can answer for you.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in with you because I had not heard back from you but the question remained unrated. Is there any further questions I can answer for you?
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
I wanted to check in and see how things were going. Do you have any further questions? Were you able to review the information I submitted above?