Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 14 yr old has a temp of 100.2, no energy, little appetite.

Customer Question

My 14 yr old has a temp of 100.2, no energy, little appetite. But she is peeing, pooping.....Does she need her vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Well, that is actually quite a normal temperature for a dog. I only start getting nervous for temperatures over 102.0, and definitely when over 103.0.
But, it is the loss of appetite combined with lethargy that is concerning.
If this has persisted over a day, then yes, I do feel a vet visit is worth it.
With a poor appetite, it wouldn't hurt to give an antacid, to try and help any stomach nausea. Might help some.
To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
Here is a bland diet recommendation:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese
And
Cooked white rice
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice
Very sorry to hear about the concern. Yes, even with the above suggestions, I do strongly feel the vet visit is worth it. At 14 years of age, I would expect a basic blood and urine test to be suggested. Good Luck!
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification or have more questions. I aim to provide the best answer that I can.