Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Hello , My cane corso puppy (3 months) has diarrhea with blood

Hello ,
My cane corso puppy (3 months) has diarrhea with blood and mucus. She has been on Caniquantel plus and Metronidazole 200mg for 3 days now. While her stool has become firmer, its only the first time she goes, in the next 20 minutes she will leave a trail of mucus and blood spots. She has also vomited in the past 2 days several hours after she has eaten. I have noticed long spaghetti like white worms in her stool. I am supposed to finish the medication tomorrow but I am worried as she still has the symptoms. Do the symptoms mean the medication is not working?

Hello. I am sorry to hear your puppy is having some trouble. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.

The fact that you are seeing white worms tells us that the Caniquantel plus is working to rid her of the worms which may be the cause of the problem. This is good. The dewormer and the worms as well can cause some vomiting. If she has not been fully vaccinated then I would also make sure they tested her for the parvo virus.

In some cases the Metro needs to be used for a longer period of time so this is something I would discuss with your vet. As long as she is eating I would give it another day or two and if she is still having a problem I would suggest asking your vet about testing a stool sample to be sure there are not parasites such as coccidia or giardia compounding the worm problem. Dewormer will not kill either of these.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Candy