Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 15 year old Dachshund has kidney disease, and appears to

have arthritis also. Is...
My 15 year old Dachshund has kidney disease, and appears to have arthritis also. Is there something that I can give her to help with her movement, and not affect her kidneys? She weighs 14 pounds.
11/15/2013
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Munchiemeadows74337 :

Hi, this is Dr. Linda. How is her attitude & appetite?

Customer:

Her appetite is good, but she seems a little droopy..not depressed, just not herself..slower.

Customer:

Approximately 6 years ago she hurt her back, bad enough that her Vet didn't think she would walk again. I did hydrotherapy with her in our spa, and within several weeks was back walking again. I think this is part of it.

Customer:

My email states that you have answered my question, but there is no answer..

Munchiemeadows74337 :

Hi, it's Dr. Linda. With Buddi's kidney problems we do have to be careful. First, I would add a glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate supplement every day. there are many brands, but nutramax that makes your welactin is one of the best. Then I would talk to your vet about some low dose tramadol. It works well for dogs with chronic pain, but we want to stay away from other pain relievers that might harm the kidneys. Meloxicam is one that seems to have a pretty low renal toxicty level,too. Does this help?

Customer:

Thank you so much for your response, and yes it does help. I didn't know if she would be allowed anything at all, and this answers my question. Thank you again, and hope you have a great day!

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Hi Cheryl,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddi. How is everything going?

Munchiemeadows74337

I took her to the Vet yesterday who prescribed a small dose regime of prednisone, tramadol and a small doses of a muscle relaxer. She is naturally sleeping a lot so I can't really judge right now...but she is not crying in pain so I'm thankful of that. Thank you for your advice and concern.

Glad she is feeling better. Keep up the good work.
Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian