How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan M. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 1503
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Dan M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

July 19th my dog had a TPLO. We are still dealing with the

This answer was rated:

July 19th my dog had a TPLO. We are still dealing with the staph infection that he contracted MRSA. We are on antibiotic #8 (3 of them were before the culture) I had the Vet do the culture and now we are on #3 of the 4 antibiotics that are supposed to kill the staph. I'm very frustrated as now he is having GI issues which I'm sure I would too if I were on antibiotics this long. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I am sorry you are having these problems, it must be very frustrating for you.

Firstly, MRSA is a nightmare to sort out but this can be achieved. It is possible that the use of different antibiotics will selectively promote an overgrowth of a particular bacteria. So it is worth getting the area swabbed again, maybe send them off to two labs to confirm the same results.

Antibiotic use can be frustrating as often prolonged courses are needed which can indeed cause side effects, particularly to the gastrointestinal tract. So whilst antibiotics continue you could consider the use of probiotics to supplement the guts and improve gastrointestinal function.

Regarding the wound itself, consideration could be given to irrigating and debriding the area to reduce gross bacterial contamination and ensure there is no deeper infection.

If the implant area is infected and the bone is not fusing then implant removal may need to be considered.

Good luck and I really hope things get better.

Best wishes

Dr Dan Makin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I should have also advised you that the infection is not on the incision. It causes a swollen area that then abscesses and opens to drain. Today it the 1st day that there seems to be minimal oozing and appears to finally be clear and not a pasty cream color ooz..... sorry I forgot that part and yes I am extremely frustrated. Does this change your opinion any? The vet has stated she is not seeing any indication that the plates is being rejected however, the bone did not start to heal until we started treating as a staph


Well it does sound as though things are improving, especially if today is the first day there has been minimal discharge. It is good that the implants seem to have taken OK and the initial isolation of staph and the new antibiotics are encouraging this area to heal.

The draining fistula could be caused from deeper infection that is tracking out through and alternative site rather than the original incision.

If this continues to drain then this may need to be explored to ensure there isn't an object (bone or suture) that maybe acting as a foreign body or infective process.

As things are good today it is worth persevering for a while to see if this is sustained or not and then if not investigate further.

Good luck

Dr. Dan M. and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you