Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a Chihuahua/jack Russel female dog that is a year and

I have a Chihuahua/jack Russel female dog that is a year and a half old. For the past 2 days she has been normal; playful, eating regularly, and peeing/pooping at the right times. But at night after supper she starts acting weird. She completely ignores me, starts shaking, and hides behind the toilet. When i pick her up she is shaking so much and runs away from me when I put her down. Please help!
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

When she acts like this, how do you react?

Is there anything new in the house?

Could she have been frightened by something?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THis has only happened twice, once last night and again tonight. I thought she was cold so i picked her up and started petting her. She seemed un-engaged so as soon as I stopped she jumped off my lap and ran away. Very odd since she loves to cuddle.

Thanks for the additional information Lissa. I really appreciate it. (plus...GREAT name!!)

Since this only happened twice, I don't think we'll read too much into it just yet. It's possible that something startled her and that when you picked her up, and were concerned about her, she read more into it.

You may have accidentally encouraged that behavior.

Sort of like if when your dog is scared and shivering and someone pets that dog, it learns that when it shakes, it gets attention, so it shakes again.

I don't necessarily think that's what is going on with your little one, but it could be the start....so the best thing to do is when she's acting like this, do your best to ignore the behavior. I know that it's hard when they're seemingly distressed, because all you want to do is help them feel better...but the best thing we can do is ignore it.

And again, since it's only happened twice, I'm not going to worry about it just yet. I suspect it'll resolve if you just ignore it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I will do that, and i hope that it's just that simple and nothing more serious going on with her.

Thanks for your help.

You're very welcome.

And please do me a favor....even after you rate/accept my answer, please let me know how she's doing.
Hi Lissa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?

Lisa
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is doing really good. No episodes since that night. She must have just gotten startled about something.
Thanks!
You're welcome!!