Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Buddy (Blue nose pitt bull) has boils that fill with puss on

back of his neck and...
Buddy (Blue nose pitt bull) has boils that fill with puss on back of his neck and top of his body. Fighting this skin condition for 2 years. Use Miselab (?) spelling shampoo the vet gave us and antibiotics so many times. The shampoo is medicated. As soon as he is off the antibiotics, he gets the boils back and he itches alot and his feet, legs are also effected. Bald spots on them from biting and itching. I plan to find
a specialist somewhere to see what is going on with Buddy. I recently bought a topical cream but have not used yet. What about Tea Tree Oil?
11/11/2013
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that Buddy is having some skin problems.

Can you tell me if your vet has biopsied any of the sores?

Have you been referred to a dermatologist?

No Biopsies and no referrals of any kind by my vet. not even blood work.

only keeps giving him antibiotics every time and more shampoo

Thank you for the additional information.

If you vet has done no testing nor referred you to a specialist after 2 years then in all honesty it is time for a second opinion.

I would ask your vet for a referral to a dermatologist. Is a dermatologist more expensive yes but not as expensive as continuing to treat a condition with out knowing what you are treating.
The puss filed lesions make me suspect you may be dealing with a condition called Phempigus. This is a problem with the immune system that causes it to attack the bridges that hold the skin cells together. This can be idiopathic meaning no cause can be found, as a result of drug therapy including some types of antibiotics or as a result of allergies. Click here for additional information.

I would also consider getting a skin scraping done to check for mites.

Tea Tree oil can be toxic to pets so I would not use that.

Oral Benadryl can be given to help with itching. This is dosed at 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours.

Resicort which is a leave on conditioner is great for itching as well and can be used daily if needed. I have an allergy dog as well and I never run out of this.
http://www.allivet.com/ResiCORT-p/26862.htm

While the Benadryl and Resicort may help I urge you to get a second opinion preferably from a Dermatologist since this is their area of specialty.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Candy
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician