Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My ate a quarter clam shell. He chewed and crushed it. He…

My ate a quarter clam...
My ate a quarter clam shell. He chewed and crushed it. He didn't swallow it whole. Should I go to emergency vet?
11/11/2013
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years. It seems the Expert you requested is not online. I would love to assist you and Archie.

How long ago did this happen?

What kind of fiber did you give Archie?

How much size wise would you say that Archie ate. I see you said a 1/4 of a clam shell.

Joan

We gave him kasha cereal and a little Metamucil in water
It seems he chewed it
Anything else u need?

You can actually give him a slice or two of bread. The bread will wrap around the pieces of shell and help protect the intestinal tract from the sharp edges. When you use Metamucil, use the unflavored and sprinkle a tablespoon on his food tomorrow. You can also give him a spoon full canned pumpkin, not pie filling with his dinner to help the shell pass. We do not want to over do the fiber, because that can cause constipation. The bread should be helpful. You will want to monitor him tonight for any abdominal pain, blood in the stool, diarrhea, straining to go, vomiting and lethargy. He should be fine, but I do suggest if all is ok tonight, that he sees his Vet in the AM, just to be sure there is no after effects from his little dietary indiscretion. If he shows any of the symptoms that I mentioned above, that would warrant an ER visit. The fact he was a gentleman and chewed his food may have saved the ER Visit tonight. Please let me know if you need clarification or have further questions. You did well by giving fiber to wrap around the sharp edges of the shell. Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Thanks so much

You are Very Welcome! We are here to help out Pets and the People they own. I would just monitor Archie tonight, I suspect it will pass with no problem, but I would do poop patrol for a day or two. I hope I have met my goal of Excellent Service tonight. I will check in on Archie in a few days to see how he is doing. Joan

But u do recommend a vet visit?

I would have him seen tomorrow just to be checked out. If Archie shows any of the symptoms of distress tonight, then a ER Vet visit would be needed. Joan

Thanks

You and Archie are welcome. I will check in on him tomorrow. Joan

Just checking in on Archie to see how he is doing.
Joan