Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Hi We are due to collect a Leonberger puppy who had an operation

Hi We are due to collect a Leonberger puppy who had an operation for intussusception at 7 weeks where they removed a very large amount of her gut. Although she recovered from the op, last week she had a further bout of diarrhoea, treated with some antibiotics. She will be 3 months old tomorrow, I have been trying to find out if this will affect her long time health, and would be grateful for any information/advice you can offer.

Many thanks

Sue
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

The prognosis really depends on how much gut was removed. If more than 50% of the small intestine was removed, they run the risk of having short bowel syndrome. This leads to chronic diarrhea, poor absorption of nutrients and overall just a decreased quality of life and life longevity.

I would make sure you know how much bowel was removed before thinking about purchasing or adopting this puppy. If they are un-willing to give you that information, then I would not take on the puppy. She could very well require long term management and end up living a shorter life.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Gary, thank you for your reply.

It was not over 50%, it was around 40%, does this give her a better chance?

If it was 40%, then I wouldn't worry about short bowel syndrome. In that case, she should live a normal life. The diarrhea now, would then likely be due to some other infection or parasite and un-related to the surgery.