Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog has a open sore which looks like a crater on the top

My dog has a open sore which looks like a crater on the top of his rear paw, it's currently dry, any suggestions

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

Is the dog licking the area?

Customer:

he was for a while and now it looks like it's dry

Sally G. :

Okay, he may have what is known as a lick granuloma which is when the dog constantly licks the feet/legs until a deep sore appears

Sally G. :

what you can try now is to wash the area often with antibacterial soap

Customer:

could I send you a picture, if so , How

Sally G. :

and then apply a triple antibiotic ointment on the area throughout the day

Sally G. :

as for pictures you should have a paperclip icon to attach a picture

Customer:

I'm taking pic now and will attach, please wait

Sally G. :

okay

Customer:

would it possible to send photo to your phone as a message, ny email is not sending from my phone

Sally G. :

I am not allowed to give out personal information company rules.

Sally G. :

I am going to send you a site that has a picture , tell me if this looks and sounds like the problem

Customer:

thanks

Sally G. :

There are 3 pictures in the link above ,it looks like you may be seeing the second pic more at this time

Customer:

I went on line and looked at all of the images under the category, the sore looks like their is a center scab

Customer:

with raw skin around it

Sally G. :

I would suggest that you see your vet because this is a deep skin infection and may need weeks of antibiotics

Customer:

thanks

Sally G. :

once this is cured, you will want to prevent it from happening again by..

Sally G. :

invest in a comfy cone, they last forever and put this on the dog the minute you see any licking

Sally G. :

keep handy antibacterial soap and a triple antibiotic ointment (one without zinc oxide) so you are prepared to fight off any infection from the get go

Customer:

could I try to send the pic to my wife by message and have her email to me to show you before I sign off

Sally G. :

sure that is fine

Customer:

please wait a sec it's on the way, thanks

Sally G. :

okay

Customer:

file://localhost/Users/bradkelly/Desktop/jet%20paw.JPG

Sally G. :

says web page not found

Customer:

trying to figure out how to attach, I have pic on my desktop, can you give me a url

Sally G. :

you can send the picture to the company's email and they can get it to me but it will not be right away . I do think though that you are dealing with a lick granuloma and antibiotics are needed

Sally G. : [email protected]
Customer:

Thanks will you be willing to confirm after you see it

Sally G. :

I will get back to you once I see it. Once rating is completed you can still come back to the question at anytime. I will also send you a free follow up to see how things are going when the pic comes through so that will go to your email

Sally G. :

Though nothing can be diagnosed through a photo alone

Sally G. :

you may need to get a skin scraping

Customer:

thank you I will give you the rating and look forward to your response, since this is my first time, will I recieve your response to my email, thanks

Sally G. :

Yes it will go to your email that you provided the company and it will say I have an information request for you

Sally G. :

There is no extra cost for this

Customer:

thank you I will look forward to that, Can I buy the ointment or do I need a prescription

Sally G. :

You can buy any antibiotic ointment at a drug store just be sure it does not contain zinc oxide because if ingested it can be toxic

Sally G. :

Basitracian ointment would work

Customer:

thank you I'm signing off and will forward photo, good service

HI Brad , It is 11:30 pm my time and your picture just came through. It is hard to tell by the pic due to the hair around the wound but it is very circular so it may not be a lick granuloma I would want to get a skin scraping done to determine if it is fungal, bacterial or yeast related as well as check for possible ringworm . IN the link below you can see ring worn on a dogs paw. To be safe do not touch it or you can get it if it is ringworm

http://www.dogchatforum.com/ringworm-in-dogs.htm

This is sent as an information request so you are not prompted to rate again. If you need my help in the future you can request me by name and ask that the question be held until I am online.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sally, I gave you a good rating. I also took you advice and took the dog to the vet who gave the dog a shot and he is taking oral meds simplicef.

The dog continues to lick the area so I'm going to get him a cone, thanks again

Thank you for keeping me updated:)