Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My minicher pincher (7 1/2 yrs. old) started vomiting Bile

in the early morning (2:30...
My minicher pincher (7 1/2 yrs. old) started vomiting Bile in the early morning (2:30 a.m/3 a.m.) the last two mornings. I feed him at 5:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Do you think he has a caught something (cold) or is it too far apart in the feedings? There was vomit in his crate when I got home yesterday at 5 p.m. HELP
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/5/2013
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

How is his appetite? Has he had any new food or treats? Are those the times you always feed him?

Dr. Gabby,

He has not had new food or new treats. I did give him some cooked white rice and small pieces of chicken to help...but he still vomited this morning at 2:30 a.m.

Thank you,

I do think he has picked up a gastrointestinal virus, parasite, or bacterial infection.

He may have eaten, or licked, something that has upset his stomach.

I would try giving him a human stomach acid reducer or pepto bismal.

1/4 of a 10 mg pepcid ac tablet, per 10 pounds of dog, every 8 hours

1 teaspoon of pepto bismal, per 10 pounds of dog, every 8 hours

You can try one or give both together.

Feed him small amounts of the plain cooked chicken and rice. No dog food for now.

If he seems to be vomiting mainly in the mornings, I would make sure you give him the Pepcid/pepto before bedtime. Also give him a little chicken and rice before bedtime.

If he is not improved by Thursday morning, he should see the vet.

If he can not keep food, or water, down for more than 24 hours he should see the vet right away.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please reply.

Thanks

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian