Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

I just noticed a little blob of whitish tissue in the corner

I just noticed a little blob of whitish tissue in the corner of my dog's mouth. I thought she had tissue stuck there, but it didn't come out when I dragged it with my finger. What might this be?

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

Do you know how long this has been present? Does she paw at this at all? Is it bleeding at all?

Customer:

Hi Dr. G.

Customer:

I just noticed the little wad this morning. Sadie was lying upside down so I could see inside her mouth. It is not bleeding, no. I don't know whether she has pawed at it - right now she's wearing a cone on her head until an abrasion on her leg heals.

Dr. G. :

I see. Are you able to take a picture of it? you can post it in the chat using the black paperclip icon above the response bar

Customer:

I could try to take a picture. I need to be off to work at the moment. I'll check back later this morning . . .

Customer:

Dr. G - No, sorry, I can't get a photo. Sadie is a little gun shy about unusual handling this week.

Customer:

Since this morning, the growth has gotten a little bigger. It's whitish-pink, and a little bit cauliflower-looking. Do dogs get abscesses or temporary growths like this in their lip tissues? As far as I know, this growth appeared suddenly. I would have noticed it.

Customer:

Away now to work again until 6:30 or so. Will someone follow up with me?

I apologize, There are some problems with the chat system on the website today. We can continue the conversation this way.
Feel free to get back to me later this morning or later today with a picture so I can see what you are talking about. It would be best to get a clear still image ideally (i tend to get many blurry images on the site which are not really useful). Thanks.
I see. The excess tissue could be due to a mass, or could be due to inflammation. It is most likely related to inflammation. If it does not go away over the next couple days, I would have your vet take a look. They can run some simple tests (skin cytology) to determine what that is if it is not clear from the exam. If you end up being able to get a picture to me later, I will take a good look.
It could be an abscess or a benign papilloma which would appear wart-like. I will be here to follow up with you later. Please refresh your screen so we can communicated better in Q&A mode. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. My hopes of getting a photo are slim to none. I will follow up with my vet. Just the ideas of what this blobby thing might be are very helpful to my anxiety.

Louise Ranck