Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Our one year old cavapoo vomited twice yesterday, and once

again this evening. She...
Our one year old cavapoo vomited twice yesterday, and once again this evening. She seems fine - very active, as usual. Her stools, though, are diminished and very, very thin. Highly unusual for her to be sick……. Your thoughts? Many thanks!
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/4/2013
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Are her stools thin and soft or liquid?

Did she have any new food or treats?

Is she eating well today?

thin and hard. No new foods, except for a small amount of canned albacore salmon Friday or Saturday am, with her flea medicine (preventative) Comfortis. She has had this in past, with no problems. She ate well today. Thank you.

That is unusual to have vomiting followed by hard stools. Usually it vomiting followed by diarrhea.

She does not sound very ill right now which is good.

The thin hard stools indicates some constipation issue. Either she was a little dehydrated and there is not enough moisture in the stool formation.

Or she needs a little more fiber in her diet to help her stool bulk up, form, and move through.

Or she is having a problem with the normal flora in her colon. There are always good bacteria, and bad bacteria, in the intestines. Sometimes the bad bacteria take over and they cause constipation, gas, or diarrhea. You can try putting some probiotics on her food. Probiotics help put the good bacteria back into the intestines. Fortiflora, by purina, is a good one. You can buy it online or at petsmart. You sprinkle it on the food.

Try to increase her fluid intake. You can mix warm water, or low sodium broth, with her food. If she likes broth, you can offer that plain as well.

To increase fiber, you can put human Metamucil on her food. 1/2 teaspoon, per 10 pounds of dog, twice a day.

You can try everything at once or one thing at a time.

Her stools should be back to normal in 48 hours.

It takes 48 hours for what she eats to come out.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please reply.

Thanks

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

Thank you. I will offer more liquid tonight. As to the vomiting, your thoughts?

Many dogs do vomit after the trifexis. So that would be my first theory. Even if she has done well before, I am suspicious as that is one of the most common side effects.

To help settle her stomach, I would give her a human stomach acid reducer such as Pepcid ac or zantac. 1/4 tablet, per 10 pounds of dog, every 12 hours as needed.

She does not sound very ill, as she is acting otherwise normal, so it is not sounding like a virus or a parasite. Those would cause vomiting and diarrhea. Not vomiting and hard thin stools.

She may also have eaten, or licked, something we do not know about and that has upset her stomach.

It may also be helpful to feed her a bland diet, or plain cooked chicken and rice, until she is back to normal. It is fine to put the probiotics, or Metamucil, on the bland diet if needed.

Hi Sonya,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ellie. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby

Thank you for asking about Ellie - she seems just fine.

No vomiting or hard stools today,and she is as active and sweet as always. I appreciate your excellent help! Many thanks, Sonya

Thanks Sonya. That is good to hear.
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian