Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I suspect that my lab has conjunctivitis. I will be taking

I suspect that my lab has conjunctivitis. I will be taking her in tomorrow to see the vet. My concern is is it contagious to my other dog? The other dog is just 3 weeks out from Cherry eye surgery and I do not want any post op complications.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Callie is having some trouble.

This can be a trick question. Is conjunctivitis contagious well that depends on what has caused the problem in the first place.

Conjunctivitis can be caused by bacterial or viral infection which can be contagious, or it can be caused by allergies or even foreign objects getting in the eye such as dust and in these cases then it would not be contagious.

For now until you see the vet considering the other one just had eye surgery is to keep them separated if possible.

I would rinse the eye 2-3 times per day with sterile saline used for contact lenses and wipe the outside of the eye with a warm wet cloth to keep the eye from sticking together due to discharge.

I wish I could give you a positive yes or know answer but without knowing what the actual problem is there is no way for me to provide that.

I hope this helps an some small way and Callie feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your response - I will do my best to keep them apart. I will also try the saline and warm wash cloth. Have a nice evening.

You are very welcome. I know its not always easy to keep housemates apart but tell them it is just for a little bit and all will be well. Give them both a good pet from me