Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog has been acting strangely. He has been significantly

My dog has been acting strangely. He has been significantly less active. Earlier today, I gave him a raw beef neck bone (which I have been occasionally feeding him - and has been fine.) I think he may have eaten the entire bone. He has also been shivering and "wanting to be alone" He is always at my side and today he has been under the bed or just elsewhere. I'm unsure if he has a cold or if it has to do with the bone.

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

When did you give him the bone and where did you get it from?

Customer:

This afternoon around 1pm. I got it from the grocery store. I've been giving him a bone as a treat and he's never eaten the bone.

Sally G. :

I would suspect it has to do with the bone. Shivering can mean pain or shock. I would check his gums and make sure they are not white or pale

Customer:

they are not

Sally G. :

Press and release a finger on the gums, it should blanch in that area but turn back to the original color. If it takes under one second or two seconds or more he is very ill and seek emergency care

Customer:

he's also warm

Sally G. :

I would take his temperature rectally normal is between 100.5 and 102.5. A fever can mean pancreatitis or infection

Customer:

they're pink and his capillary refill looks like it's less than 2 seconds

Sally G. :

it should be one second for best results.

Sally G. :

Can you take his temperature?

Customer:

I can try

Sally G. :

okay I will wait

Customer:

It's 100.8

Customer:

Also, I took him for a walk around 9pm and he pooped. It was dark and well formed, but slightly softer than usual

Sally G. :

okay that is normal. I would keep an eye on him until tomorrow and if things have changed, you see vomiting diarrhea , or there is fever take him in. It may be that the bone has irritated the belly or there is something more serious going on such as the bone poking a hole in the intestines. If the gums go white or the capillary refill is bad then don't wait

Customer:

Okay. Is there anything I can do for his comfort?

Customer:

Is abdomen is soft right now

Sally G. :

At this point just make sure there is fresh water nearby. There is no meds I would recommend because we are not sure if surgery is in the future or if this will pass on it's own.

Customer:

at what time tomorrow should I start to worry

Customer:

It's now midnight where I am

Sally G. :

If he is not better by morning I would call your vet

Customer:

Okay. Thank you.

Sally G. :

you are welcome. I would like to set up a free follow up for the end of the week to see how things are going for you is that okay?

Customer:

Sure. Thank you

Sally G. :

Great I'll set that up

Sally G. :

Wishing him good health:)

Hi Fabriana,

I am just checking in to see how your boy is feeling.

Sally