Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Hi, i have a two year old bitch, she was spayed about three

months ago, just recently in...
Hi, i have a two year old bitch, she was spayed about three months ago, just recently in the last few days she seems unsettled and slightly "depressed" but not in pain, just uncomfortable, she has been few today twice as normal with her normal doggy meat treat sticks threw out the day( potty training) but doesn't seem to just relax, which is unusual, she is normally a very energetic dog and when we sit down she lies down between us, but she just seems to be pacing? Any ideas?? Stomache is a little enlarged/ bloated but doesn't seem in pain, and she just ate? Gums and everything seem ok to me and.piops have been nice and firm, any ideas??
10/26/2013
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions...

Is there any possibility Ruby ate something unusual?

Does she get bones, rawhides or people food?

Does her belly seem painful if you press on it?

Have you noticed an increase in drinking?

Have you noticed any discharge from her vulva?

Any vomiting or attempting to vomit with no success?

when she is in the garden she always eats grass, its sort of a habit now instead of sumthing to make her sick, she occasionally has sliced beef from sandwiches or milk but nothing.that would upset her, no bones or anythin, no her belly isn't painful, she just lies back and lets u carry o, she is drinking alot but shes young and energetic? She has no discarge, just sneezea alot and no vomiting at all which xonfises me because she eats grass??

Thanks for the additional information Ashley. I really appreciate it.

From your description, I don't think there's anything too serious going on here.

Her symptoms are pretty vague...and if she were doing anything like vomiting or diarrhea, or if she were off her food, being extremely lethargic and/or showing any other symptoms, then I'd be worried that we could be dealing with something more.

If this were my dog, I'd monitor her for 24 hours. If she stays the way she is, or if she becomes more ill, then the best thing to do is to have her seen by her vet, just to be safe...however, I strongly suspect this is a momentary moment of lethargy that will resolve with some rest.

That being said..since she is a larger breed dog, and since you mentioned that her belly seems distended, I'd make a point to really keep an eye on that and see if you notice any problems like difficulty defecating or attempting to vomit with no success. Those kinds of symptoms can indicate things like intestinal obstruction, rather than just run-of-the-mill digestive upset. If you notice anything like that, she absolutely needs to be seen by an emergency vet, just to be safe.
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Hi Ashley Corbett,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ruby. How is everything going?

Lisa
Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech