Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 8 year old Wheaten Terrier has had a paralysis on

My 8 year old Wheaten Terrier has had a facial paralysis on his right side for 3 days. I've been to the vet right away which confirmed this also saying the hind legs were weakened, that it was a neurological problem but they didn't know the cause. They did a complete bloodwork which revealed no abnormality.

I noticed the problem only on wednesday night but I was away from home the whole day wednesday so maybe the symptoms presented then. I mentioned to the vet that my dog had jumped out of my parked car late monday night and the leash got caught in the seats which abruptly stopped him in mid air and left him sort of hanging there until I could untie the leash. I thought this must have hurt him but my dog did not complain and didn't seem affected after the jump so I thought there was no problem. Could this still be how the paralysis happened? How likely is it that the paralysis will go away? What should I do to help him recover?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions....

Did they do any blood work on Bob?

What state do you live in?

Do you know if Bob has EVER had tick exposure?

Any possibility that Bob ate something unusual?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes they did a complete blood work which revealed nothing abnormal.

I live in Montreal in the province of Quebec in Canada.

Many years ago he had a few ticks back when I wasn't living in apartment.

Yes Bob did eat a ton of hibiscus flowers and leaves. I stayed with him at my parent's place last saturday overnight. He vomitted them sunday morning. There was quite a handful. I try to remove them when I go there but the hibiscus has just been moved indoors for the winter and it is losing a lot of leaves and flowers right now. He doesn't usually have this many.

Thanks for the extra information Ludovic. I really appreciate it.

It definitely sounds like trauma could have caused this issue. Especially when you factor in the incident of the car.

At this point, I think it might be a good idea to have your vet give you a referral to a veterinary neurologist. These are the guys who deal every day with nerve issues, and will have additional information and testing (such as MRIs, Myelograms, ect) to help pinpoint exactly where the issue is. Once we know exactly what is causing this issue, then we can better understand how to treat it and what kind of prognosis we're looking at.