Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

Hello. We just adopted a german shepherd pup from a woman

Hello. We just adopted a german shepherd pup from a woman who had him for a week from a breeder. she said the whole week he had diarrhea. she'd been giving him the same food from the breeder and also dog treats, which i totally disagree with for any dog; in my personal experience they get diarrhea. She'd also missed the dogs second set of shots. We've had the dog since Friday and the diarrhea is getting worse. We called in a vet tech who gave us anti diarrhea medicine and also a pill for worms. he did have worms. we've given him nothing but scrambled eggs tonight, just a small amount. He's not as active as a puppy should be. If his diarrhea continues tomorrow we will take him in to the Vet in th eam. any thing else we can do?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years. Since the Vet prescribed an anti Diarrhea medication and wormer, what I suggest is to withhold food for 12 hours to rest the stomach. When you start feeding, please start with a skinless chicken breast boiled 1 part to 3 parts white rice. To this mixture you can add a couple of tablespoons of canned Pumpkin(not pie filling). This is a bland diet as well as the pumpkin is a high fiber food and is used in pets to help diarrhea. I do suggest that you have a fecal done asap, since not all wormers work on all parasites. You may be dealing with Coccidia or Giardia which require different parasite medication. Hopefully the bland diet with the canned pumpkin will help along with the medication you already have from the Vet. Please let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to assist you. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello joan, i do have another question. i have two small adult dogs, a pug and jack russle, will these parasites harm them?

I would be cleaing with a bleach water solution and make sure to keep them away from where he defecates. Parasites are trasferable via coming in contact with feces. If your little ones are on a topical Heatworm preventative, it could give them some protection. A protozoan parasite like coccidia or giradia are not covered by something like Advantage Multi or other HW/flea/tick protection. Keeping your new boy away from the others for now may be a wise choice until you know exactly what you are dealing with. Joan