Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My 5 month old standard poodle has a dry mouth and nose. Has

My 5 month old standard poodle has a dry mouth and nose. Has been this way since we got her two months ago. Is this normal?

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

Is molly having any vomiting or diarrhea? Was the dry mouth present at her last vet exam (after you got her)?

Customer:

No diarrhea or vomiting. Her mouth was dry when we had her spayed about 2 1/2 weeks ago and is still dry. She has water available all the time. She does not seem dehydrated.

Dr. G. :

I see. did she have any bloodwork before surgery? Does she drink excessively or urinate excessively?

Customer:

She doesn't seem to drink excessively. Since she's a pup, we take her out about every 2 -3 hours during the day, but in the evening, she likes to go out about every hour and a half. She doesn't go out for about 8 - 9 hours during the night.

Dr. G. :

I see. She should not need to go out more than every 6-8 hours at this age.

Dr. G. :

Some dogs will have a mouth that is a little bit more dry than others, however I am a bit worried about something else going on to make the mouth dry. A dry nose really doesn't mean anything.

Dr. G. :

One thing I would recommend is having her urine tested to make sure she is concentrating normally

Customer:

Ok. I'll do that.

Dr. G. :

It is a very simple thing to do and is relatively cheap. I think that is going to give us a large amount of information regarding the dry mouth. If everything is normal, it is likely just normal for Molly

Customer:

Thanks for your help. She seems healthy. Just wanted to be cautious. Will take her in. Thanks again.

Dr. G. :

You're very welcome. I wish you the best with Molly.

Please feel free to contact me again if you need any further information, otherwise please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation. My goal is 100% customer satisfaction. If you do not believe you have received this, please reply back before rating and I will help you further. Thank you and have a great day!

Hi Jim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?

Dr. G.