Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 6 yr old Rhodie\GSD appears to have pulled or strained something

in her left front shoulder...
My 6 yr old Rhodie\GSD appears to have pulled or strained something in her left front shoulder area. I can feel heat there. She was performing her incessant security detail (she is neighborhood watch) yesterday as the home next door had contractors there, so she runs along the fence from one end to the other (concrete block) snuffling the air high and barking. This morning she doe not want to move and heavily favors that area, just laying on her newly relocated bed (so she can be near me). I have a heating pad under a saddle blanket that is on her bed. Is there anything else I can do? Anti-inflammatorily and for pain (ibuprofin,aspirin, etc? Thank you for your help in advance.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/16/2013
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

If you call her name will she lift her head up and look at you or will she look at you only moving her eyes?

Customer:

She lifts her head with no ill effects. She just heard another neighbor dog bark, Lifted her head and listened intently. She seemed to want to get up but didn't try hard and I also told her to lie there and take it easy.

Sally G. :

Thank you.

Customer:

Thank you.

Sally G. :

It could be a soft tissue injury but then you also have to worry about a tick borne disease such as lyme disease as that is very paingul and would require antibiotics.

Sally G. :

The next thing to worry about is a possible disc injury in the spine because that can also make a dog limp in one or more limbs

Sally G. :

Do not give Ibuprofen or any acetaminophen products such as tylenol as these can be toxic to dogs. The only thing you can give her is plain aspirin and give with food

Customer:

We are currently in Henderson, NV so I doubt the tick problem, having moved here from NC, one of the beautious things is no fleas or ticks here in town. Up in the mountains and hills possible.

Customer:

She weighs @ 70 lbs and I trust I use baby aspirin but at what dose?

Sally G. :

Aspirin should only be given for two days tops or stomach ulcers can occur. If you use aspirin then you need to tell your vet when the last time was you gave it as other pain relievers may have to wait until the aspirin leaves the body

Sally G. :

I will get you dosing for aspirn

Sally G. :

This site goes over dosing and precautions to watch for http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

Sally G. :

You can alternate cool and warm packs every 20 minutes

Customer:

I think this is the first time she has hurt herself and that is bothering her more than the actual injury. Thanks for the assist

Sally G. :

you are welcome. IF with rest and the aspirin she does not feel better within 3 to 4 days then it is time to see your vet

Customer:

Understood. Again Thank you.

Sally G. :

you are very welcome , have a wonderful day:)

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant