Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My dog was nuetered Thursday and he started licking his stiches

My dog was nuetered Thursday and he started licking his stiches when I took his halo off for a few minutes. It is dripping blood. I out his halo back in and have him in his crate. Should I take him back to the vet?

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Thursday was 5 days ago,

Dr. Drew :

so that means that Stanley is still in a critical healing period,

Dr. Drew :

where the incision is surely not adequately healed yet.

Dr. Drew :

If the incision is gaping open, then veterinary attention is surely necessary this morning.

Dr. Drew :

If the incision is closed, but is leaking pinkish fluid (not blood), then monitoring closely for a few hours may be acceptable,

Dr. Drew :

but if it appears to be pure blood, then I would definitely suggest a veterinary exam as soon as reasonably possible.

Dr. Drew :

Many dogs, especially young Labradors, cannot be trusted without the cone in place, during the 7-10 days post-operatively.