Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

my puppys mouth is swollen on the right side on the inside

my puppy's mouth is swollen on the right side on the inside of his jowls
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions....

Does Ranger seem lethargic?

Is he eating normally?

If you look in his mouth, do you notice anything unusual?

Is he drooling?

Does he get bones?

Is he a chewer?

How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He seems fine other than the swelling. no drooling, eating well. He has been chewing on a rawhide bone most of the day. I just noticed swelling now. Seems a bit sensitive but not real sore.

Thanks for the additional information Kim. I really appreciate it.

Since Ranger has been chewing on a rawhide bone most of the day, I suspect he's simply overdone it, or possibly injured a tooth.

Since he's acting mostly normal, I think it's okay to just keep an eye on him for tonight and then re-evaluate it in the morning. If his face is back to normal in the morning, then we're simply dealing with a case of over-exertion for those jaw muscles.

If morning comes and his face is still swollen, if he's stopped eating/drinking, or if he begins drooling, then you should absolutely have him seen by his vet as soon as possible as these can all signal a broken tooth (which often breaks below the gumline, where you can't see it without an x-ray).

Puppies (even year old ones) are infamous for chewing on things long after their mouth starts to hurt a little, so I suspect he's going to be back to normal in the morning. Just make sure you take away that bone so he doesn't retraumatize the area.

I hope he's looking better by morning.