Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years
1348006

My greyhound, aged 10, has not been eating and drinks a lot

My greyhound, aged 10, has not been eating and drinks a lot of water. He won't even eat scrambled eggs. This has been going on about a week. His usual weight is 78 lb. No other unusual behaviour except he pees in the house now if we don't catch him. His weight has been normal for his size but I can see he is thinner now. Is there anything I can do? Last night he was shivering and I gave him 1/2 an aspirin.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a vet for 35 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

With the symptoms of weight loss coupled with drinking and peeing abnormally, I would recommend that you have the blood checked to see if there is a disease process involved here. Chronic kidney disease, diabetes, Cushing's disease, diabetes insipidus, and others can all cause what you are describing.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Many of these diseases will diminish appetite so even if you offer very palatable food, he will refuse it.

Customer:

Thank you Dr. Gotthelf,

Customer:

the dog went to the vet this morning and had his blood checked. We can rule out diabetes and will get the results from, the lab next Monday. We are expecting to hear that there is, in fact, a disease. Your diagnosis was spot on.