Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Four years of small animal practice experience while establishing my own Equine mobile practice.
8634083

Our dog was hit by a car last week-- he was taken to the vet

Our dog was hit by a car last week-- he was taken to the vet right away- he seemed to have pain where his leg met his body, but no other problems. The X rays did not show any problems, so he was put on pain meds and he seems to be recovering fine (really didn't slow down at all!!) We just noticed a fairly large (size of a baseball) swollen area between his leg and middle of his abdomen- He seems perfectly fine and it does not seem to hurt him when we touch it, but it looks like it might be fluid filled and we are wondering if we should go to the emergency clinic or wait until the morning to see the vet-- any ideas?

Dan C., DVM :

Greetings, and thanks for the question.

Dan C., DVM :

As long as your pup is doing fine otherwise, I wouldn't consider this an emergency situation. The fluid lump that you have noticed most most likely a buildup of serum from inflammation due to the trauma of getting hit by the car. Another possibility would be an abscess, which is a pocket of pus due to bacteria getting under the skin.

Dan C., DVM :

Although not an emergency, I would schedule an appointment with your Vet first thing in the morning to have the lump checked out, avoiding any discomfort to your pup or enlargement of the lump.

Dan C., DVM :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dan C., DVM :

All the best!

Dan C., DVM :

-Dan

Customer: Thank you for your reply.....I am currently sitting I
Customer: Thank you for the reply--I am currently sitting in the Vet's office waiting to find out what it is (doing X-rays,etx$
Were you able to get Moby to the Vet? If so, how did it turn out?

-Dan