Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have found a hard lump on my dogs back that lifts up with

I have found a hard...
I have found a hard lump on my dog's back that lifts up with his skin but doesn't bother him at all. He is a 4 year old cocker spaniel.
10/11/2013
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet tech for 30+ Years. The Expert you requested is not on right now. I would love to assist you.

I see you have been to the Vet and they suggested a Fine Needle Aspirate. Does you dog paly with other pets where he may have been bitten or scratched to cause a wound?

Has the dog recently been to the groomer prior to seeing the bump?

Do you feel any fluid around the bump now that it seems more puffy?

Have you been trying any watm compresses on that area?

Joan

It doesn't look like he has been bitten - he does play with another cocker but they don't fight. He hasnt been to groomer - his hair doesn't really grow on his body just his legs. It was more puffy and squidgy when I first noticed it but it now seems a little smaller and harder. Haven't tried a warm compress. He dud have an anti sickness jab and antibiotic jab about a month ago at a different vet - my parents took him as he was suffering from an upset stomach and was off his food. Lump didn't appear until last weekend so didn't think it would be anything to do with jabs? Lump is just below his shoulder to the left hand side and is approx 0.5 inches - more oval than round.

Thank-you for the extra information. We sometimes see reaction from injections, so we cannot rule that out entirely if that was the area it was given in. The warm compresses are very good and usually will help if it is a clogged oil gland, ingrown hair, abscess or a sebaceous cyst. We see lumps and bumps on dogs all the time. Many times they are nothing more than a Lipoma which is a Benign fatty mass. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/lipoma-in-dogs/page1.aspx Sometimes we see a cyst which can have fluid or a cheesy material in it and this usually needs to be opened and cleaned out and an antibiotic given. Those can occur when the dog may have gotten an insect bite or rough play with another animals. They are very common: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/sebaceous-cysts-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Since the lump is still there and seems more localized, it may be wise to go through with the FNA(Fine Needle Aspirate) to find out what you are dealing with. This way you will know what actions need to be taken. Your Dog is very young, so catching a problem early on is important to prevent further issues. You can read more about the various Lumps and Bumps we see on dogs here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2111&aid=424

Please let me know if you need further clarification on the information I posted, or if you have follow up questions. I will be happy to assist you. Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Hi Penny,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan

Hi Joan, Thanks for taking the time to follow up my question. Harvey still has the lump but it does seem to have gone down in size. He doesn't have any issues with me touching it or checking it. He is going to the vets on 22nd October for his annual booster so I will ask about it then. Regards, Penny

Glad all seems ok. Please let me know how he is doing after the Vet Visit next week.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech