Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

my dog snapped his nail on his front paw. Hes limping on

my dog snapped his nail...
my dog snapped his nail on his front paw. He's limping on it and won't let me touch it. It's snapped about half way down.
10/8/2013
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry no one was available to help you sooner. I just signed on and saw your question.

Did the nail break completley or is the broken section still hanging?

Is there any bleeding?

No it's still hanging. There looks to be a bit of dried blood.

Thank you

If the nail is still hanging ten this has to be cut off. If you do not have nail trimmers and can not do it at home then this really needs to be done at the vets office. If it stays hanging it is going to get caught on things causing more pain and trauma to the nail itself.

Broken nails are very painful. If you have this trimmed at the vets they may give you a few days of anti inflammatory medication.

If you can do this at home then you can just soak the paw in warm Epsom salt water 2-3 times per day to help with the pain.

I would not do any long walks for a few days to give this time to heal.

I hope this helps give you some direction. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Candy
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician