Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

my dog is panting and restless

my dog is panting and restless
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Bear is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

How long has this been going on?

Has he had any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is his stomach harder or larger then normal?

Anything going on that could have caused stress?

Any chance he got into anything?

Any recent change in his diet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

just this evening

no vomiting ro diarerea

no stress

no we are careful about that unless he ate something outside my husband says no

he eat blue changed the flavor not the brand

Thank you just a few more questions. When did you change the food?

Is his stomach hard or larger then normal?

What color are his gums?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

tomach is not hard

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

changed it sunday fed 3 times since then, his gums seem paler than I remember

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

did you get my last message?

Thank you .

Panting and being restless can be due to pain, stress ,digestive upset or trouble breathing.

Since the food change has been recent then this is a possible cause. Even though you did not switch the brand changing the flavor can cause problems some dogs can for example eat beef but chicken causes problems.Any type of food change should be done slowly over a period of 7-10 days

To try to help if this is due nausea or stomach pain you can give Pepcid AC at a dose of 0.25 mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours. If you do not have this then Pepto Bismol may help. This is dosed at 1 teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight every 6-8 hours.

Keep an eye on the gums as this breed is prone to problems with the spleen and plae gums can indicate a problem the stomach becomes larger then normal or he tries to vomit with nothing coming up then he should be seen by a vet tonight.Continuing to pant and pace after trying the over the counter medication would also warrant a vet visit tonight.
If he settles but is not back to his oldself by morning then I would give your regualr vet a call.

I hope this helps and he feels better soon.Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy

I apologize I edited incorrectly the above should have read If the stomach becomes larger then normal or he tries to vomit with nothing coming up then he should be seen by a vet tonight.
Hi Steph,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bear. How is everything going?

Candy