Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 6 month old GSD / Terrier mutt has had episodes of what

I believe is reverse sneezing...
My 6 month old GSD / Terrier mutt has had episodes of what I believe is reverse sneezing. When she gets excited (whether happy to see someone or nervous on a walk), she can start to have regular sneezes and then snorts. If this progresses, she will start sucking in air. During any part of this, she hyper salivates and will typically start to vomit white foam. When she gets really bad (it's happened about 3x so far), I've taken her to the emergency room for an overnight stay. Doctors can't find anything medically "wrong" with her. Her esaphagus is good; motility with food is good. Right now, it is so bad, she will lay down and not want to be near anyone or any of our other pets (her sibling brother and 2 cats). She gets Rescue Remedy drops in her daily water and tonight I've given her Ark Naturals Happy Traveler herb chewies to see if it will calm her down. I can see she gets even more nervous when she can't figure out what is happening. I can't keep taking her to the emergency room but I don't know what to do to stop the progression of an episode. She is so droolie right now and it sounds like phelgm or mucous is running through her mouth.
10/7/2013
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

With a reverse sneeze you can stop an episode sooner by rubbing under the neck have you tried that?

Sally G. :

Also why is she on rescue remedy, is she normally a nervous dog?

I put her on Rescue Remedy hoping it will keep her a little more emotionally "level". I thought it was helping, but I think now it is not doing anything. I gave her half of an adult Benedryl tablet last night and that worked wonders, but I can't keep giving her Benedryl for the rest of her life. I am trying to find alternative products or techniques to stop the progression of a reverse sneeze / drool episode. It can last for hours...

Thank you for that information. Rescue remedy does not really do anything for dogs as you are finding out. Benadryl will tire her and drug her a bit so in some cases such as storms or fireworks it is worth it to use but if you want to try and get her a bit more level what we usually try with anxious dogs is over the counter melatonin. This works in conjunction with what the brain already makes but may not make enough of. I will direct you to a site that will give you dosing and it will take a couple of weeks before you see a difference but it can be given up to three times a day.

From a behavior standpoint you can help her become more self assured through positive training daily because you will always allow her to succeed with this which will begin to build confidence. i would recommend clicker training and if the clicker sound is too loud or frightens her then use one word as a marker after the command such as "yes" in an upbeat voice.

Melatonin
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sadie. How is everything going?

Sally G.

Sadie has been better with the addition of the DAP collar, however, she is still not well. I am going to the market this weekend and will pick up Melatonin. My gut feeling tells me when she gets over stimulated (whether it's seeing one of our cats she wants to get near to or whether she gets frightened from a stranger appearing on our walks), she starts the reverse sneezing - which by itself doesn't appear to upset her. It's when the reverse sneezing is constant that she seems to get more agitated and may be wondering "what's going on with me?" so this sets her off even further into a spiral of anxiety. Then her stomach gets upset so she starts to drool profusely and regurgitate. I have seen her excited over the cats and not reverse sneeze so it could be that she has nasal mites or something. I am planning to get a 2nd opinion with another vet in our area, hoping the video I've taken of Sadie will clue someone in as to what we can do for her. Thank you for asking. We feel kind of helpless.

Aw, I am glad to the DAP is helping and I will keep my fingers crossed that the melatonin will help her be calm and if it is medical that the video will be able to help the vet who looks at it. If you can keep me informed.

This is sent as an information request so you are not prompted to rate again. If you need my help in the future you can request me by name and ask that the question be held until I am online

Yes - I will keep you in the loop. Sadie sounds like such an oddball case, I am sure you and anyone else looking for answers like this would love to know the diagnosis! I've just never seen anything like this before. Something is irritating the area behind her nose.......

Sometimes Awns get in the nose I wonder if something is stuck there and irritates her when she gets excited.

Awns? What is that?

Little things from weeds/reeds, or maybe some other type of weed piece or something from the ground that she sniffed up and is stuck in there.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/diseasesconditionsfaqs/qt/QT_cheatgrass.htm

I just want to give an update on Sadie. We finally have a diagnosis! Although Sadie has not needed to start a prescription treatment as of now (and we are hoping she won't need to), we are prepared in the event she has to. Her condition is "Idiopathic Phenobarbital-Responsive Hypersialosis" - say that 3 times fast. It is a form of Limbic Epilepsy.

I've always associated the word epilepsy with what I have seen - Grand Mal Seizures. I never realized there were other forms of epilepsy that do not resemble anything like that! And this can also affect humans; not just canines.

I found a great paper on this through VetLearn.com about a 7 year old female Lab who started to show signs of this. Her treatment plan worked wonders for her with the phenobarbital!

Sadie has not needed meds to date although she is finishing out a round of Prednisone for her inflamed throat and tonsils. She was scoped and her sinuses flushed prior to diagnosis. All her blood work came back perfect. All her organs perfect too. Although she has a few moments of minor drooling, she has learned to remove herself from the situation causing her to be overstimulated (which could bring on a IPRH episode), and calm herself down. She is learning! Her new doctor also said that Sadie could very well outgrow this and even if Sadie does have to start taking Pheno, her treatment plan would include the eventual stopping of the drug (unless full blown episodes returned of course). So she could be weaned off of it.

Thank you for all your help. And I appreciate you always checking up on her as well.

Oh that is so great! I am glad there was a diagnosis and now a plan in place for her. She is lucky to have such a human as you in her life! Thank you so much for keeping me updated!

This is sent as an information request so you are not prompted to rate again. If you need my help in the future you can request me by name and ask that the question be held until I am online.

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant