Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My 1 year old golden is progressing well. However she really

My 1 year old golden is progressing well. However she really overreacts to other dogs when we are on a walk. I don't thing she wants to fight but really wants to interact. What can I do to train this out of her. I have sat her down with sit commands and by physically holding her, but this is generally good for only a few seconds at which time she explodes to interact.

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

doe she know the command leave it and heel?

Customer:

She knows sit and stay.

Sally G. :

Thank you. When you put a dog in a sit stay at a time that you know they will get anxious this give their mind time to think about what is making them anxious and that is why this command usually only lasts a few minutes before they are up and excited again. The visual and auditory cues from the other dog is there. What I always suggest is that the dog learn a firm leave it command, and a firm heel command. You continue to give these command as you pass other dogs. This keeps the dogs mind moving forward and not getting stuck on the other dog, but it also allows you to keep moving.

Sally G. :

Do you know how to train these two commands?

Customer:

no

Sally G. :

Okay, I will direct you to sites that will give you step by step instructions for clicker training and to a site with video to show you how clicker training is done so you get some idea of how it works. Train these commands first inside the home where there are no distractions and then move to the yard and then to the driveway and then to the street so the dog learns she must listen to these commands everywhere you give them. Dogs do not always carry over commands from one place to another and this is why we teach them in every situation.

Customer:

Thanks

Sally G. :

When you train inside and in your yard you can use Cheerios or soft dog treats for command but when you move to the driveway and street you need to up the ante to chicken slivers or hot dog slivers

Sally G. :

Once you have rated my answer I would like to schedule a free follow up with you to see how things are going or if you need more help with this problem. Should any new problems arise, you can open a new question and request me if you wish for me to help you again.

Sally G. :

Clicker training/positive method training

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Sally G. :

All of this information will be in your email, but to be sure, once you have rated my answer I will send a follow up date in an information request so it will definitely go to your email address

Customer:

I'll get to work on it today. Thanks

Sally G. :

you are welcome:)

Sally G. :

is there anything else I can do for you today?

Sally G. :

If not have I answered your query?

Customer:

I will try the sites you recommended and will let you know how it works for me.

Sally G. :

okay thank you

Hello Mark,

I have scheduled your follow up for 4 weeks which should give you time to get things moving. The site will notify you through email on the day of the follow up

Sally
Hello Mark,
How are things going with training?

Sally