How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Andy Your Own Question
Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 30041
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Andy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 4 year old yorkies both got into some styrofoam on monday

This answer was rated:

My 4 year old yorkies both got into some styrofoam on monday - today is thurs.
They both threw up and pooped styrofoam over the past few days. Now, my yorkie who has had gastro issues in the past still has diarrhea and is vomiting.. fed rice today and she vomited it back as well as water.
I thought I would give it time to pass through but looks like she is becoming dehydrated.. would it be a good idea to bring her in for some fluid injections under her skin?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Bella.
Yes, I think it is well worth it. Better to tackle dehydration issues sooner than later.

In addition, the vet may also be able to give some anti-vomiting medication like Cerenia (one shot lasts 24 hours and is great for vomiting). Maybe some flagyl (metronidazole) to help out with diarrhea.

In addition, if still vomiting, there i a very real concern that the syrofoam may be causing an obstruction in the stomach or intestinal tract. So, some x-rays may be suggested. But, if not visible, and the vomiting still continues, the next step would be a barium study. That is when we have the pet swallow a white liquid that is white on x-rays and we take a series of x=rays over several hours to see how it moves through.....if it moves through.

To help settle the stomach you could give a 1/4 tablet of Pepcid A.C. 10mg antacid, or a ½ tsp of pepto-bismol.

Sorry to hear what happened. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have metronidazole from past issues with bella, and tried to give her one earlier. i am afraid it caused more vomiting. now, she did drink a bit more water and has kept it down so far. is it more beneficial that she keep water down or should i try again with the meds?

also she did make bowel movements since monday - could there still be an obstruction even though i saw styrofoam in her stool?


Between the metronidazole and pepcid, which would you recommend?

Yep. Probably did. That's okay.
Must focus on the stomach first!

Repeated vomiting is damaging to the stomach, and the stomach acid begins to cause ulceration in the esophagus as well.

The pepcid is far more important because if vomiting, you can't give anything!

Yes, definitely there could still be an obstruction. That is my current worry right now, that it didn't all pass.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok . thought i was finished... she brought up the water i was just speaking of and also there is a dollop of diarrhea with some fresh blood. help?!

Nothing left.

She is really quite sick.
It is not really important to get into a vet tonight, even if it has to be an emergency trip.

Otherwise, I am still only able to suggest Pepto bismol or Pepcid to try and help the stomach.

The blood now suggests some colitis (inflammation in the colon), so she is likely quite uncomfortable.

Well worth the vet visit today.

Wish I could do more, but the best answer I can provide for Bella.

Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I'm confused. you said, it is not really important to get into a vet tonight, even if it has to be an emergency trip.


did you mean it IS really important?

Oops..that is definitely a typo. Sorry

Yes, I very much would love for her to get into a vet tonight.

Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy and 5 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you