EmergencyVets
EmergencyVets, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Emergency Veterinarian 10 years experience..
63977546

Im afraid that a difficult decision is at hand, and Im trying

I'm afraid that a difficult decision is at hand, and I'm trying to make my 14 yr old lab as comfortable as possible for the night, until I can get him into the vet in the morning. He is approximately 80lbs, that's taking into consideration recent weight loss. I have Tramadol, Rimadyl, & Xanax all prescribed to him. what is the max mg. of each I can give him to get him through the night as peacefully and pain free as possible. Thank you for your help & assistance.

EmergencyVets :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help you today..

EmergencyVets :

He can have 3 tablets Tramadol ( 150 mg total ) every 6 hours if needed.. Rimadyl he can have up to 150 mg total in a 24 hour period.. Alprazolam (Xanex) he can have up to 4 mg total in a day..

EmergencyVets :

I am sorry for your tough situation

EmergencyVets :

I am sorry for your tough situation

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, I'm rather upset, and took maybe a bit longer to type my first response, and the site decided to disconnect just as I finished my questions. I'm trying to make Henry as happy as possible, and just wondered is the rda's were relaxed a bit given the situation, again - not wanting to od my boy at home, just make him as comfortable as possible. thankyou for the insight, and also wondered if the rimadyle on his empty stomach increased pain... or is the pain relief worth just giving him the tabs? I know kidneys are now not really an issue. Thank you.

Hi Gina !! I am here online for at least 3 more hours.. So happy to help.. The dosages I gave you are the max allowed din a day.. The tramadol and Rimadyl are the only two to take care of pain.. Xanex is only anxiety/mild sedative..

I would give the tramadol and Rimadyl together - Even on an empty stomach if you are just trying to make him comfortable and get through the night - the two together will give you the best synergistic response for pain control.. It is a tough situation but I would use both.. Dr. Chad

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX has given me a bit more latitude in pain management tonight and keeping henry comfortable, I've been struggling today with what is the right decision & obviously would prefer his final hours to be with people who care about him. Why today has been so difficult as his regular vet is closed & it's the first day he's not been able to walk on his own nor wanted to drink. I get one last night to cuddle - unless of course he wakes up tomorrow perky & happy my wish, but know it's not a reasonable expectation. Thank you for your help and advice, I'm sure Henry would thank you too for the extra pain and anxiety meds. All my best Gina

I hope he does well and you have the time you need for closure to help him along and not see him get any worse.. it is never easy to say goodbye to an old friend but it is the kindest thing we can do when their bodies give out.. I wish you the best. Dr. Chad
Hi Gina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Henry. How is everything going?

EmergencyVets