Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

About two days ago, we noticed a small lesion on our dogs

About two days ago, we...
About two days ago, we noticed a small lesion on our dog's belly that looked immediately like a tick. Upon further observation, it was not. It popped and was bloody and now has left a round bloody spot and the lesion has come back. It looks very much like a blood blister kind of thing. It is not bothering him at all - he's eating fine, drinking fine, playing and going for walks, so all behavior is normal. Before I rush to the vet, could this possibly be just a blood blister?
9/27/2013
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you but need a bit more information in order to assist you better, if you don't mind.

How large is this blister that you are describing?

Have you looked him all over to make sure there are no other similar type lesions anywhere else on his body?

Is the one that returned in the exact same place as the first?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response.

Thank you for the prompt response!

It is not very large - maybe 3 to 4 cm?

There are no other similar lesions on him - I just double checked.

Yes, it returned in the exact same spot.

I have attached a photo to maybe help a little bit. It looks SO tick-like, but it is not.

Thanks for the picture and the response. It helps a lot.

Seeing as this is on the ventral side of him and there are no other lesions, it is possible it is a localized trauma like a blood blister. Perhaps it is secondary to a bug bite. Other possibilities include a localized infection and rupture if a hair follicle (called a furunculosis) as well as immune system disorders and even blood vessel tumors. Either of the last two would be less common with such an acute presentation and in only one spot.

I would definitely keep it clean and keep monitoring it. If it is a trauma, it should be resolving over the next few days. If it does not, it definitely warrants further evaluation by your vet.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back with additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian

Oh thank you so much!

That is what I suspected, but I sometimes panic unnecessarily with my furbabies. I will definitely keep an eye on it. Should I clean it with anything specific, alcohol or hydrogen peroxide? And should I keep it exposed rather than covered?

You get an A+++ rating from me! Laughing

I would keep it exposed. Alcohol or peroxide are both fine. Peroxide will likely sting less if it ruptures open.

Thanks for the positive rating and the bonus! It is truly appreciated.

Please keep me updated as to how things progress.

Dr Z

You're very welcome - appreciate the prompt help so much. I'll let you know how it pans out. Have a great weekend, Dr. Z!

Just wondering how things are going with Marley?

Has the lesion resolved?

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns that I can address.

Dr Z

Good morning!

The lesion has turned into a little scab now. The red blood around it is gone and I'm just applying some Neospirin on it to help the healing process.

Can't thank you enough again - was great to have my mind put at ease.

Thanks for checking in, Dr. Z!

You are very welcome and I am so glad to hear it sounds as if things are improving for Marley. Thank you for the update.

If you have any questions in the future that I may help you with, ask for Dr Z in the question title or see my profile to request me. You can save my profile to your browser favorites with this link: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-0drz-4/

petdrz.
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian