How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dave Your Own Question
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 4125
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Dave is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, there may have been a possibility that my dog ingested

This answer was rated:

Hi, there may have been a possibility that my dog ingested some fabuloso.
If we give him a lot of pedialite to flush out will he be ok? I read its safe to use as a cleaner for pets and there is not a veterinary open around here until tomorrow morning.
Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Do you know how much may have been ingested?

Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We're not sure. We had some air conditioning repairmen that came into our house and let him out of the area that we typically keep him. He was outside for a while and was covered in grass when we came home, but after a while that we were looking around we saw that there was a bucket with some fabuloso in it by the sink and we figured he may have ingested some of that. There are no frogs in the back yard during the day and the grass had just been cut.

Thanks for the information.
Fabuloso is overall quite safe. Unless it was ingested in large quantities (in which case you may see vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, or lethargy), you will likely not see any adverse effects. It would not hurt to entice extra fluid intake tonight (water, pedialyte) to dilute any of the product in the digestive tract. Oreo will likely be just fine, though.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, we were thinking of making him vomit using hydrogen peroxide but do you think it will have an effect? -- thats what people online say--We came back from work at around 6 so you get an idea of the timing. and we gave him 1/4 of a liter of pedia lite would that be enough?

Hydrogen peroxide is usually pretty effective in making dogs vomit, but since it's been a couple hours or more since the product would have been ingested, making him vomit would not likely help. Plus, it's typically not recommended to induce vomiting after cleaners are ingested, since they can irritate the esophagus and throat coming back up.

The amount of pedialyte should be a decent amount to dilute any of the product ingested.


I hope this is helpful.

Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what would be symptoms of him ingesting it in large quantities?


You may see vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, or lethargy.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but is it deadly? he seems weak in the way that when he stands or sits for a long period of time he starts sliding or leaning to one side.

but he can run fine. He lays down but doesnt fall asleep. Is this something to be alarmed about or do you think i should give him more pedialite?

Fabuloso is quite safe, unless ingested in large quantities. If enough of any cleaner is ingested, it could cause significant symptoms, or even death in rare cases, but fabuloso is quite safe, even compared to many other cleaners.
It wouldn't hurt him to get more pedialyte.
It's difficult to say if the symptoms you are seeing are due to the fabuloso or something completely different, since there are many different things that can cause the symptoms you are seeing. If the symptoms persist, I would highly recommend getting him into a veterinarian for an exam and possibly tests. If things would happen to worsen overnight, you may need to seek out an ER clinic, or on-call veterinarian.

I hope all of this is helpful.
Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, we will watch him, thanks for your help.

You're very welcome - it's my pleasure to be here to help out.
I hope everything goes great with Oreo.

Take care,
Dr. Dave
Hi Petowner,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oreo. How is everything going?

Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the follow-up. Shortly after giving Oreo more Pedialyte and letting him rest, you would be happy to know he got up himself with bursts of his normal energy again. We're very happy to see him roaming around and showing vital signs again.

Thank you for your help.


My follow-up question would be how to prevent this from happening? He normally would have never reached to drink liquids from buckets unless he's hungry. We are trying to keep him from having to potty sporadically, so we are controlling when he eats and have noticed he is scavenging for food now that is not available to him all the time.

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear that things went well!
About the only effective way to keep him from getting into things he shouldn't, is to put it up where he can't get to it, or keep it closed in a cupboard or closet. Basically, you need to "puppy proof" your place where he won't be able to get into anything. If he does this when you are gone, I would recommend crate training him, so he is in a crate/cage/carrier when he is home alone. There are many good resources online that go over crate training, such as HERE:

I hope this helps.
Dr. Dave