Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Our dog ate a chilli potato chip last night which didnt seem

Our dog ate a chilli...
Our dog ate a chilli potato chip last night which didn't seem to agree with him. He has been eating grass, gagging, coughing and constantly swallowing since eating this chip. He is still eating his food and drinking but is restless and seems distressed at times. what should we do?
9/25/2013
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Ollie.

Well, the focus should be to try and settle the stomach. No more grass!

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day, which should be divided into two or three doses. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day divided. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

I would say Prilosec is best bet followed by the Pepcid A.C. antacid.

Milk, I hate to say it, was not a good idea. Sorry
Milk is not digestible by dogs. It can cause stomach upset, as well as, act as a natural laxative inducing diarrhea. So, you'll have to keep an eye out for diarrhea as well.

Definitely, give one of those antacids, but if these symptoms persist, you'll have to get into an emergency vet for some good supportive medications.

Sorry to hear Ollie is not feeling well. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Is it necessarily a stomach thing? Could it be an irritated throat from swallowing the chip and maybe sctatching it as he swallowed. This condition started soon after swallowing the chip. Before that he was happily playing.

Hi Val,
Well, other than in the upper throat, once the chip is going down the esophagus, it will not impact the trachea.

The sudden onset of eating grass is one of the biggest clues to suggest nausea.

Plus, having ingested the milk, that will have impact on the stomach. But, to answer your follow up question, no, it doesn't have to be only a stomach issue. There could be some tracheal irritation as well.
This can even happen sometimes if a pet regurgitates and any stomach acid causes irritation in the airway.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Dr. Andy, Medical Director