Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

my pugs bottom area is very red and inflamed. We have taken

my pugs bottom area is very red and inflamed. We have taken him to the vet and they said to give him benadryl, which we did. He is still very much uncomfortable and noticeably irritated. Is there anything you can suggest for us to do?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for him.

Benadryl can have some sedating effect so I would continue it. You can actually give it up to every 8 hours.
Not sure what dose they suggested but here's some more information:

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Whatelse?

You can apply some topical hydrocortisone cream directly to his bottom. For people, there is a rectal cream called anusol, that is simply just hydrocortisone. A generic is fine as well.

Also, not sure if the vet checked his anal glands. Impacted or infected anal glands can cause rectal problems, so that should be evaluated as well.

When benadryl fails and a allergic condition is suspected, also ask for a steroid shot or some oral steroids, which should quicklly make him a lot more comfortable.

Very sorry to hear about this concern. I did not see him, but not entirely happy that the vet only suggested benadryl. Some more therapy is needed.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We gave him carprofen 25mg, will this provide him comfort? We also rubbed neosporin in the area, but that does not seem to be working. We were also thinking to rub a cold towel in the area, would that work?

It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, so should have some benefit.

The topical hydrocortisone would be nice as well.

I don't think the cold towel will help much. Applying some direct ice wrapped in a cloth, pillow case, etc..for a few minutes might help a bit. But, Pete, if it agitates him don't worry about the ice.

Hi Pete,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?