Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My young pit is 3 mos. old and has puss coming from his

My young pit is 3 mos. old and has puss coming from his penis and also has like a rash on his belly /the side of him as well. I have recently noticed he is licking more down there as well as scratching until his skin gets irritated on the side near his ribs and under his armpits. What could it be and what should I do for him?

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

How long have you noticed this and was there any trauma to the area?

Customer:

Hello Sally, Well no there has been type of trauma to him at all. And we have noticed first a small rash when we took him to the park about 2/3 weeks ago and we have had him since he was about 8/10 weeks old we rescued him from a couple that couldn't feed him anymore. He was a healthy puppy just a bit skinny and had some ticks that we had to remove. But the past 2/3 weeks its been getting bad he itches himself and kinda cries when he does. He has itched till there are red marks on him now and licks below for a few mins at a time

Sally G. :

Thank you for that information. Scratching can be from a food or airborne allergy which generally shows itself in a rash, but a contact allergy can cause a rash as well. If he is not in contact with the same thing at the park then you can rule that out and lean more toward a food allergy. There are foods made for dogs with food allergies. Eagle pack makes a venison and sweet potato or a duck and sweet potato. I will get you more information on that and on the food allergy. Unfortunately it can take a while before you know if one food is working or not. Seasonal allergies can also cause itching, but you may also notice the licking of the paws a lot and rubbing the muzzle on the floor.

Sally G. :

you can add some omega fatty acids such as fish oil gel caps to the food to help strengthen the skin and coat. Did your vet mention Benadryl for allergies?

Sally G. :

general information on food allergies http://www.petplace.com/dogs/food-allergy-in-dogs/page1.aspx#

Customer:

He does lick his paws alot. How can we prevent him from scratching to prevent abrasions? We have tried antihistamines in pill form but it did not seem to work, he continued itching. As well as the discharge color green from his penis, is that part of the same problem? Another question, do you recommend "any home remedies" to help him from itching so much? Please let me know that information to, thank you.

Sally G. :

The discharge from the penis is an infection. There should be no discharge at all and for that you will likely need antibiotics. As for itching, what I do is put booties on my dogs so that even though she is still itching she is not damaging the skin with the roughness of her nails and pads. Children's slipper skid socks also work well because they grip the floor so the dog can get up. A hydrocortisone anti itch cream can work but the allergy won't go away. i would switch foods, add some omega fatty acids to the diet daily, continue the antihistamine and if one does not work try another after discussion with your vet because not all do work for dogs. There is also a product called SeaCure you can get at amazon that some vets say is good,

Sally G. :

seacure ww.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_7?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=seacure&sprefix=seacure%2Caps%2C390

Customer:

I was told that some discharge is normal in dogs that are not neutered. But it could be an infection and I should get him into the vet right? As for the itching what if it is seasonal allergies? And if you look at his skin you can see small red dots all over his tummy the sides and his front paws, oh an today I did notice some hair loss on the right side of his face just a few small dots... Could all this be related? and as for the antibiotics do I have to see a vet to get them or is there somewhere I can get some for him? What bothers me is that when we got him he had nothing like this so it must be something we are doing wrong right?

Sally G. :

Yes it can all be due to allergies and if it is seasonal then that is good because it will end when the season does. I would see or call your vet about the discharge better safe than sorry and maybe they can just prescribe you antibiotics via phone rather than taking you in for a full visit. Also when it comes to skin redness, hair loss etc. a skin scraping is a good idea to be sure it is not something like mange, fungus, yeast or bacteria because each has to be treated differently. IF you think the dog has gotten worse since your last visit then take him in for a scraping. you will have an answer before you leave and it is not painful to the dog at all.

Sally G. :

here is an article on seacure for allergies. I am trying to locate the one I just read but to no avail http://www.ehow.com/about_7217132_seacure-dog-allergies.html

Customer:

Thank you very much. You were very informative.

Sally G. :

When it comes to allergies there are no cures only brief relief as it is in humans.

Sally G. :

Is there anything else I can do for you today?

Sally G. :

I am thinking that since he was a bit skinny when you got him the food was not the best for a dog , strengthening the immune system through food is the first way to go here are more sites on Eagle pack and another food for allergies

Allergies: food for,

http://www.eaglepack.com/

http://www.royalcanin.us/vetdiet/vetdietcanineprod.html

Hi Angela,
I am just checking in to see how Blue is doing.

Sally