Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My small dog (15 lbs) doe not like small children and barks

My small dog (15 lbs) doe not like small children and barks at them. We are a fraid that she may bite.

Dr. J. :

Hi, This is a great question. I have spoken with veterinary behaviorists extensively about this subject. The first thing I need to know is do you have children or plan to have children?

Customer:

We have grandchildren and great grand children.

Dr. J. :

Ok, what the behaviorists have told me repeatedly about this is that the safest and best thing to do is not to allow interaction between dogs that do this and children. Most people find this hard to do, but dogs that are not used to children are almost impossible to get them use to them without very extensive training and counter-conditioning. So most people end up purchasing a crate and placing it somewhere like a bedroom and putting their dog in it while children are around. If your dog is not use to a crate then teaching her that it will be a place where she gets treats is a good way to get her use to it. This is what the veterinary behaviorists recommend for this problem.I joined the behavior group several years ago because we get so many behavior questions now since dogs are like family members. I hope this helps you but if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Sincerely, DrJ

Customer:

Thank you very much. Our dogs are crate trained.

Just wanted to see how things were going with crating of Cookie? Hope things are going well.
Sincerely,
DrJ