EmergencyVets
EmergencyVets, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Emergency Veterinarian 10 years experience..
63977546

I have been talking to Dr Whitehead last night, I have a 10

I have been talking to Dr Whitehead last night, I have a 10 week old bulldog with pneumonia he is on antibiotics and a low 1mg temaril p my question is he seems to sleep comfortably for an hour or 2 then he wakes up wheezes and coughs for about 5 minutes then back to sleep. he is lethargic and weak but I have been putting him in the steam every hrs tapping his sides and I think it helps, he did cough up a little dog food like it may have been stuck in his windpipe but he ate pretty good at 3am and drank a little water this morning, does this sound like he is doing ok???

EmergencyVets :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help you today..

EmergencyVets :

If you are waiting to speak with Dr. Whitehead again - we can let the moderator know so that this question can be locked to them personally..?

EmergencyVets :

I am an emergency room veterinarian - and if you are caring for a bronchopneumonia case at home and it is eating drinking and resting for an hour at a time.. That alone is pretty good :)

Customer:

I am happy to talk to you,

EmergencyVets :

Each day should get better - and you should not see nay decline in status ( if you did that would warrent a recheck with yoru vet or an emergency vet) Pneumonias can take quite some time to heal completely from and can require antibiotics for up to 4 weeks easily

Customer:

also he had diahrrea for several days and today his poop was normal

EmergencyVets :

That is great.. Likely there is a lot less stress on his body allowing his GI track/flora to heal.

Customer:

oh good, thanks for your help, greatly appreciated

EmergencyVets :

You are doing great with continued steam treatments ( for nebulization) an tapping on the chest (coupage) - these techniques can be demonstrated on Youtube if you need it, but hearing that he was producing some phlem is great !!!

Customer:

I will check out the site, thanks again.

EmergencyVets :

Hope this helps.. Please don't hesitate to ask further questions if you have concerns or are not satisfied by my answer.. If no further questions please Rate and Accept my answer.. That and positive feedback are the only way I receive credit for my time.. Take care and good luck. Dr. Chad

Hi Vicki,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Henry. How is everything going?

EmergencyVets