Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My female dog just stopped bleeding and my prooven male isnt

My female dog just stopped...
My female dog just stopped bleeding and my prooven male isn't showing interest. We paid $4,000.00 for this female for the express purpose of breeding her, and HER breeder SOLD her to us as a bitch for breeding purposes. We are beginner breeders as you can clearly tell. My other female: as SOON as she stops bleeding my male has shown interest in her during her breeding cycle. I'm just worried my new female might be sterile. She has been bleeding for about a week or so, by the way, and I think she's stopped now. Thanks so much for your considerate reply !!
9/11/2013
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi Sir or Madam,

.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have over 17 years of professionally working with dogs in both behavioral and health issues. I've been breeding rottweilers for that long as well.

.

Let me first give you some information on the heat cycle and THEN address your dog's specific issue. The following information is information that I give to a lot of my clients since it is standard information.

.

To breed successfully you need to understand the heat cycle. I have explained it below and included a site that has a pictorial guide so there is no mistake what stage of heat your girl is in.

.

Female Dogs go into heat at any time between 6-12 months usually. The average heat cycle for a dog is approximately 3 weeks but for some dogs it is longer and for others it is shorter. Some as short as 10 days and some as long as 4 weeks or more. Usually your dog will go into heat every 6-7 months though again each dog is different and can go back into heat as early as 4 months or not for 12 months. Most however are average.

.

During the first part of a dogs heat period you will notice swelling of the vulva, possibly an increase in urination and bleeding. If there are male dogs around you will notice them hanging around her. This stage generally last about 7 days and she will not allow males to mate with her during this period The second part of the heat cycle is when she will accept a male and breed. Usually a female will lift her tail out of the way. Usually bleeding has stopped or become straw colored at this point. This can last from 4 to 21 days though the average is 7 days. Many expert say the 9-10th day of heat is the optimum day for breeding. It is during this period of time that you will want to allow mating. Most breeders allow the dogs to mate every other day during this period.

.

Then during the last stage of heat she will be less willing to breed as she is going out of heat. This stage can again last from 4 to 21 days as well but averages 7 days.

.

Each dog is different so some evaluation by the owner is necessary. The whole heat period should be approximately 21 days but as stated can be longer or shorter depending on the dog. Here is an excellent website with pictures to illustrate a female in different stages of heat.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breedingheat.htm

.

Now to address your situation specifically. Most breeders wait for a female to be at least 18 months of age. At one year old, she still is very much a puppy. Young dogs like this may have problems with not taking care of their pups, so if you breed her, be sure you are prepared to take over all the care of the pups if she doesn't.

.

Since your male is proven, he is going to be your best guide as to when she is in the proper stage of heat. I have a male chihuahua that goes crazy the minute my rotties go into heat, but my stud rottweiler will pretty much ignore them until they reach the proper stage of heat. So it is likely that she isn't at the right stage of heat. Each dog is different and what works for your one female may not for the next one. You also need to make sure you bring her into the male's territory so he feels confident and dominant. When you take a male into a females territory, the female is in charge and often first time females are not accepting of a male mounting them. Additionally the male may not even feel dominant enough to approach her depending on the male.

.

Now there are some things that can cause sterility which would be abnormal heat cycles but at this point, you wouldn't want to jump straight to that conclusion since she just stopped bleeding. Those would be split heat cycles to name a common occurrence. Even then with the proper vet care, you can manage to breed them successfully if the bloodlines are such that you really want to preserve them. This is usually done with champion dogs who are having problems with fertility. The following site goes over abnormal heat cycle and even has a chart on wht procedures should be done to determine infertility and the cause.

http://www.labbies.com/reproduction2.htm

.

Now you do want to check her vulva for swelling since when she enters the second stage of heat, there is usually distinctive swelling and watch for her to flag (move her tail out of the way) when you touch her back close to the tail or when the male comes around her. Keep your other female away from the two dogs as well. A senior female if around will often stop HER male from mating with another dog.

.

Of course, dogs can bleed for other reasons such as a urinary tract infection and uterine infections. She is pretty young for a uterine infection since it strikes older dogs usually, but a UTI could be a possibility if she has other symptoms. However,I do feel it is more likely that she just needs a little more time before entering the second stage of heat.

.

Make the changes I have suggested if appropriate and see how things progress. If for some reason she is not successful in mating with the male, then you would want to see your vet first and probably a reproductive specialist with her to determine if there are any health issues causing infertility. LIke I mentioned though, most breeders would not be worrying at this point. Many would not worry until she failed to mate the next heat cycle. Also keep in mind that some females have to be restrained when mating the first time in order to allow the male to mount. In this case, he just isn't interested, which would point toward her not being in the right stage or the other female interferring with the process. The older female might not even be obvious in her interference. A prolonged stare or growl at the male might be enough to stop him especially if she is the alpha dog.

.

I had an alpha female once who would not allow the male to mate with anyone but her until we separated all the females. So it is not unheard of for an older female to influence the males decision to mate with another female.

.

I can't tell you for sure what the issue is with your dog, but I hope the information I have given you allows you to either feel more at ease over the process or allows you to make some changes allowing the mating process to progress smoothly.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX all your information !! Indeed you have been very helpful. We have only been breeding for a couple of years with two dogs. This is our third German Shepherd ( which we've bought for breeding purposes, that is........we've had GSDs for over a decade and we LOVE them, hence our desire to breed them ). My first female, Zasha, is very definitely a DOMINANT female, and would likely interfer with the breeding of Zasha with "her" male, as you said. We have separated them, now.........and I'm just going to watch them and let nature take it's course over the next couple weeks. If nothing happens then I will get back in touch with you. If they successfully mate, then WONDERFUL.........we'll wait to see if puppies come or not. And, thanks for the advice, on waiting until 18 months old to breed. I will certainly talk with my husband about that !!

My female, Bionca, is definitely in HEAT now ! My male, Teddy Bear, just can'

t leave her alone.......he is trying and trying to mount her but she is being very uncooperative. Her bleeding has COMPLETELY stopped. I am concerned because I have NOT seen them tied at all despite all of Teddy Bear BEST EFFORTS. Why is she so unreceptive ? I have tried holding her still, but Teddy Bear, eventhough he will MOUNT her on command, he just can't seem to make a connection ( JOIN OR TIE ) with her. Any ideas ??

Suzanne,
.

Some females are difficult the first breeding. My breed is rotties and I frequently have to leash my females in order to have them allow the male to breed. Even then they sometimes shift their rear at just the right time so the male doesn't enter or they will shift the minute they feel something touch their vulva. And while he may be interested, she may not quite be in the receptive part.

I didn't send you these links before, but you could or might want to do AI or at least think about it. It might be something to think about in case it just seems like it isn't going to work this time. Here are some excellent sites on sperm collection, artificial insemination and even videos to help.
http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/theriogenology-5361/dog--white_2.htm

http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/reprod/semeneval/dog.html

.

And purchase kits from here:

http://www.equitainer.com/Canine/AIKit.htm

http://www.pinnaclepetsupply.com/ai-kits.htm

http://www.camelotfarms.com/other_products.php

Ai video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxXlniylh5g

.

But another thing that might help them connect would be to have one person holding her head and once he is mounted move her rear legs forward or back appropriately to tip the rear down a bit. For some dogs pulling the legs forward helps but with GSD's moving them back might accomplish the same thing.

.

They also make breeding stands but I've never used one myself. My male tends to like his females moving and won't mount if she isn't moving at least a step or two.

.

I'm going to close the other duplicate question since I answered it here.

Hi Suzanne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bionca. How is everything going?

Hello Jane, thanks so much for your caring replies and your following up with me. Well.........things are just at a "wait and see" at the moment. We'll just have to sit tight for about 5 weeks or so, and then take her to the vet to see if there are any puppies. Thanks again for your help !!

Sincerely,

Suzanne Tye

Suzanne,
I hope you come back and let me know.