Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

hello. I was wondering how to give a dog a bath without getting

soap in there eyes?...
hello. I was wondering how to give a dog a bath without getting soap in there eyes?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2013
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem

Sally G. :

what breed of dog are you thinking of getting?

Customer:

maybe similar to my previous dog - she was probably a corgi/ pomeranian/ terrier mix about 9 kg - she was friendly and didn't object to being washed. However I would adopt from shelter so could be other sort of dog.

Sally G. :

Generally when you give a dog a bath you tip the head up and use just a washcloth to get around the eyes. You use plain water and no shampoo. By lifting the dogs head up slightly you will have the water run down the head and neck rather than the face.

Sally G. :

Most dogs with longer hair would not use soap because soap when dry will mat and pick up more dirt

Sally G. :

it is almost impossible to rinse soap off of a dogs face fully so that is why plain water is used

Sally G. :

Cotton balls also work well for around the eyes and when you bath a dog always put cotton in the ears to keep moisture out

Sally G. :

otherwise infection sets in

Customer:

Thank you - that is very helpful. I meant dog shampoo not soap, sorry. Should the shampoo be used on the top of the head, underneath the chin and ears?.

Sally G. :

It is not necessary to use shampoo on a dogs head, generally a damp wash cloth will do just fine. They usually carry the most dirt on the body.

Sally G. :

Under the neck yes, behind the ears yes,

Sally G. :

but be sure to rinse well or matting will occur.

Sally G. :

I find it easier to invest in a good set of dog sheers and keep the face trimmed so it is easier to keep up with

Customer:

OK thank you Sally - that all sounds very possible thank you

Sally G. :

In many cases if you invest in a good dog blow dryer you can just use a spray bottle of water and wipe with a washcloth then blow dry and that will get the dirt out also

Sally G. :

I wish you good luck in finding your next pet:)

Customer:

thank you - it is a big step to consider, are there special dog blow dryers

Sally G. :

yes, I am sorry for the delay, had to let the dog out:) you can go to petedge.com and look at the ones they have

Customer:

I am probably in another country and have never come across one but will have a look around

Customer:

thanks again

Sally G. :

you are welcome. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

I am just checking in to see how you made out picking a dog for yourself. This is a free follow so I will leave it up to you if you wish to answer:)

Sally
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant