Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years
1348006

My dog was treated for an inner infection her head was tilted.

My dog was treated for an inner infection her head was tilted. She doesn't seem to have the head tilt anymore, but she has balance issues. She's a XXXXX XXXXX. Is there anything I can give her?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a skin and ear vet for 35 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

Customer:

Hi

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Yes, inner ear problems can cause balance problems. There is a drug called meclizine that is often used to control balance issues. It is available over the counter as BONINE for sea sickness. If the infection is still present in the inner ear, he may need to be on an antibiotic and a steroid for a while.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Ask your vet about doses for your dog for the meclizine.

Customer:

she was on the steroid for the inner ear infection. I will try the Bonine that would be great if it works thank you

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

I usually give it twice a day. It may take several days for the dizziness to go away.

Customer:

She weighs about 19lbs I was thinking .5 pill twice a day?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She isn't perfect, but she is a lot better. At least when she jumps up she doesn't fall backwards. She still can't jump on the couch or bed, but she really has improved. Thank you!

That's good to know. She probably needs to be rechecked by the vet to make sure that the ear problem has resolved.