Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Hi Dr. Loretta, My 9 year old King Charles Spaniel Wesley

Hi Dr. Loretta,
My 9 year old King Charles Spaniel Wesley has a nasty looking red lump on the top of his right "forearm." It bothers him if I touch it and if gently squeezed, it will bleed. The bump a bit smaller than a pea. Do you have any idea what this could be?

I'm not sure if it's at all related, but several weeks ago I found a small lump on Wesley's chest, but it was under the skin. I called the vet who suggested that in all likelihood it was a lipoma and nothing to worry about.

Thanks so much!!
Ariel
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I just have a couple questions....

Is the lump on Wesley's forearm hard, or soft?

Does it seem like it will move under the skin?

Is it smooth or sort of lumpy like a wart?

Do you ever see anything come out of it other than blood?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Lisa! It is very hard and will not move on the skin (it is on top of the skin, not under). It is not smooth and it seems like hair is still growing from the area, but I'm not 100 percent sure. I haven't seen any pus or anything coming out, just blood.
Thanks for the extra information Ariel! I really appreciate it!!

The lump is something that could have many causes: inflamed lymph node, sebaceous cyst, lipoma. Because of Wesley's age and the description you gave me of what it feels like, combined with the fact he's a Cav, who are a bit famous for getting all kinds of lumps, I'm suspecting it's a lipoma or a sebaceous cyst, but I'm just guessing.

Here's more reading on lipomas and other cancers: http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/lumps.html

On cysts: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/sebaceous-cysts-in-dogs/page1.aspx

On lymph nodes: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1614&articleid=319

The only way to positively identify what sort of lump or bump your dog has is, unfortunately, also through a trip to the vet. A fine needle biopsy (where the vet inserts a needle into one of the bumps and tries to aspirate/pull out material to look at under the microscope) will tell the vet, without question, what sort of problem your dog is having.

Of course, since Wesley has already been diagnosed with lipomas in the past, you could opt to just assume that's what this is, and keep an eye on it. If it gets bigger, or seems to be bothering him, then you can have the vet take a peek..just to be safe.

I'd also stop squeezing it. These weird little lumps have a habit of becoming "ugly"...meaning that they can sort of be antagonized into growing by messing with it, so leaving it alone will give it the best opportunity to stay small.

I hope this helps.

Hi Ariel,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Wesley. How is everything going?

Lisa